Photoshop question

Silkwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can somebody please direct me to some instruction on how to turn part of a photo into black and white and the rest into colour??? I know how to change the whole photo to b&w

Thank you so much,

Jay

You can do it a number of ways - probably the easiest is to mask off the part of the image that you want to keep in colour (use the 'quick mask mode' to paint on your selection, or select it using the lassoo tool), then use 'desaturate' (In photoshop 5 this is Shift+Ctrl+U). This should make everything black + white apart from the part you had masked.

the easiest way is to use the sponge, its one of the tools in the dodge and burn selection. You choose the sponge icon then you choose weather you want to saturate or desaturate and just use it like a paint brush you can choose the sensitivity of the saturate or desaturate on each pass.

Though it depnds on the shot, I usually prefer to duplicate the layer and desaturate the copy. Then I use the eraser tool to "erase" (on the dup layer) what I want to be in color.

I feel this allows for greater control and you can try multiple desaturation settings etc., by using different layers.

Isn' tit amazing how many ways you can get there from here in Photoshop? :lol:

Use a channel mixer adjustment layer. It's the best way to control your black and white conversion. Every adjustment layer has a layer mask automatically. Just mask off what you want in color. You can fine tune the mask by switching back and forth between black and white and zooming in, to get it perfect. Painting black reveals the color, and painting white re paints the black and white effect of the channel mixer.

what Digital Matt does is the same one i use. to read more about channel mixing read voods tutorial on the top of this section.

Most reactions

Back