weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a panorama I shot while on holiday this year that needs a bit of a fix in PS. Basically I left my polarising filter on (D'oh) and now have an oval dark patch in the sky which fades out to a lighter sky tone at the edges. I've came across a sort of fix by adding a gradient but I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to use channels to create a mask using the tonal variations then invert it to lighten up the dark areas according to their tonal values?

I've used a bit of PS but I'm not fully conversant in it so though I've tried some internet searches I can't seem to find the right termonology.

You should be able to. I've done something similar with (under)exposure adjustment layers to de-emphasize the background. It's worth a shot.

Do you have an example image to share?

Have you tried the graduated filter in LR? I've used it a couple of times. Some good youtube videos about that too.

You should be able to. I've done something similar with (under)exposure adjustment layers to de-emphasize the background. It's worth a shot.

Thanks snowbear, any chance you remember how you did it? I'm mucking about with various channel and levels to try and get a refined mask currently

Do you have an example image to share?

No, not at the moment anyway, The polarisation effect with UWAs and panoramas is pretty well known, its a dark patch that fades out to the sky colour. If your convinced you really need to see it though I'll post up the affected area.

Have you tried the graduated filter in LR? I've used it a couple of times. Some good youtube videos about that too.

Yes and no, I'm familiar enough with that filter and even with the new luminance masking and colour options it doesn't refine the mask well enough for my liking. It's really a photoshop job IMO.

It was a couple of versions ago, but I create a new adjustment layer, adjust the exposure then "paint" the mask. IIRC, if inverted it was like erasing the new layer from what you wanted original.

I'll have to play around with the new PS version to get the right process - New adjustment layer is still the same. If I get it I'll put together a couple screen shots.

You aren't going to be trying to darken part of the image, but the general process should help.

1. Open the image, turn on the "Layers" panel. Make sure the background is locked to keep it safe.
orig.jpg

2. "New Adjustment Layer" and pick the adjustment you want. I've only worked with Exposure or Brightness/Contract.
new_layer.jpg

3. Pick the editing tool of your choice - I use the brush tool, and set the size appropriate to what area I need to unmask. Make sure the mask (white rectangle) is selected in the Layers panel and paint. I am basically erasing (unmasking) what I want to keep original. Inverting the mask will do the opposite - paint what you want to change.
unmasking_1.jpg

4. I adjust the brush size and zoom as needed.
unmasking_2.jpg

5. Flatten the layers, and save to a new file.
final.jpg

thanks Snowbear! I hadn't realised you could mask adjustment layers like that. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what I can do with it

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I've got a panorama I shot while on holiday this year that needs a bit of a fix in PS. Basically I left my polarising filter on (D'oh) and now have an oval dark patch in the sky which fades out to a lighter sky tone at the edges. I've came across a sort of fix by adding a gradient but I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to use channels to create a mask using the tonal variations then invert it to lighten up the dark areas according to their tonal values?

I've used a bit of PS but I'm not fully conversant in it so though I've tried some internet searches I can't seem to find the right termonology.
I would recommend to try mask of 3D Lut Creator 3D LUT Creator - official site. Here is video tutorial how to work with it . There is also this video tutorial about how to make sky darker maybe it also would help you

I would recommend to try . . .
Interesting - you only make two posts and both are borderline spam for this software. I wonder what your affiliation with the company is.

Has this forum any restrictions about recommendation some specific program or software? Is my recommendation useful, isn't it ? I thought that useful is the main point

Has this forum any restrictions about recommendation some specific program or software? Is my recommendation useful, isn't it ? I thought that useful is the main point
No restrictions. I just got suspicious when both of your posts were suggesting the same piece of software. I guess time will tell. Have a wonderful weekend.

Most reactions

Back