Photoshop subscription

Have a read of KmH's point - the subscription for Adobe software isn't aimed at someone who wants to long term use their software, its more targeted at companies and people who need the software, but only for a specific short term project or purpose. For them the short term fee is very acceptable - for longer term use and upgrades you'll pay more for the privilege.

Lightroom is a very good software option, the 4th version adds quite a bit and makes it a very versatile photographers package for file management and RAW processing. Many people I know use lightroom to do most of the editing, indeed unless you go for using the liquefy tool and such often you'll likely use Lightroom to do most of your processing - supported with photoshop/elements for those shots where you need to go more advanced.

You can get a 30 day trial of Lightroom off the Adobe website so you can try it out and if you like it just pay to get an activation code.

the subscription for Adobe software isn't aimed at someone who wants to long term use their software, its more targeted at companies and people who need the software, but only for a specific short term project or purpose. For them the short term fee is very acceptable - for longer term use and upgrades you'll pay more for the privilege.

If you do the math it acutely comes cheeper for the monthly subscription.

Historically Adobe had released a new version of photoshop about every 2 years.

Photoshop CS6 monthly subscription is $19.99 a month

$19.99 x 24 months = $480

Photoshop CS6 retails for $600

Also keep in mind that the subscription includes new versions of the software.

On a historical basis, it looks closer to 18 months to me - Adobe Photoshop version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -but, Adobe has said fairly recently they now plan to adhere to a 2 year cycle.

Considering the complexity of Adobe's software, it's hard to imaging a business only having a short term need for the software.

The advantages to Adobe that I see that results from the the monthly subscription, is a decrease in the rate Adobe software is pirated, some increase in revenues, and a steadier income stream.

A more realistic look at the math would suppose the initial purchase at $700, and a subsequent upgrade at $199, or $900 for 2 consecutive releases.
So on a 2 year cycle, a subscriber pays 48 months @ $20 a month or $960. $60 more than buying 2, no-time-limit, use license/license keys.

From a photographer association member's discounted price perspective (at a 15% discount) the buy pricing becomes $595 and an upgrade at $169.15 for a total of $764.15.
a savings of $195.85 over the 4 years or $4.10 a month.

See all these numbers and stuff confuses me. I have no clue what to do now.. do I subscribe so I at leas have it for now or do I save another couple months till I can buy it out right.. I think subscribe and save in the meantime for the next version.

Just to clarify. I subscribed to Photoshop cs6. With the subscription I was able to download Photoshop cs6 extended, in 2 years the total spent would be $480 if I were to buyout Cs6 extended it would cost me $999.00 All in all a pretty good deal to me. I save straight to my HDD and wherever else I want to.

Note that the creative cloud includes more than just photoshop. If you have a use for other adobe products like premiere and illustrator it is well worth the $20 a month.

Not too sure I carry my laptop with me on location so yeah. Also I did have the option to download Other Adobe programs but have not yet tried it. I am currently paying $19.99 for the service and I love it i'm happy. hah.

I'm currently paying $20 a month and have the complete line of adobe products. I did get the teacher discount though.

Most reactions

Back