Piano Man

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I spent a couple of days in Denver on layover and took some time downtown. I am making a concerted effort to do more people photography (just not my nature). On the 16th St. mall there are something like 6 pianos out for anyone to play. I found this guy playing and singing (he preferred Elton John). I stopped and listened for a while, had a little conversation, then asked to take a few pics. I struggled to keep a cleaner background. Here are a couple that I liked.

Comments always welcome.

IMG_3345a by breckmiller, on Flickr

IMG_3342a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

I like these two. Not sure why you were concerned with the cleaner background though, with street shots, the background will help tell the story.

Thanks Ron.

These were actually two that were fairly clean. Here's an example of one I thought was too busy. I feel like I'm loosing definition in his face in the business. Maybe I'm being over critical?

IMG_3335a by breckmiller, on Flickr

That guy sure looks like he was a good character to photograph.

Thanks Ron.

These were actually two that were fairly clean. Here's an example of one I thought was too busy. I feel like I'm loosing definition in his face in the business. Maybe I'm being over critical?

IMG_3335a by breckmiller, on Flickr

Could have used a larger aperture.. blurred the background more! A 35mm needs to be opened up to blur the background, as it has more DOF than a longer lens will. Should have shot some wide open... and also just a stop or two down....

Exif data
Camera Canon EOS 20D
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

That guy sure looks like he was a good character to photograph.

That is literally around the corner from where I work... there are a LOT of characters around! lol!

Maybe that's why my inlaws moved.... they were too vanilla boring.

Maybe that's why my inlaws moved.... they were too vanilla boring.

16th street mall probably has everything you would see in Vegas, or New York... costumes, panhandlers, musicians, Yuppies, punkers, EMO's, Street Preachers saying we are all going to hell, etc.... lol! Typical city stuff, I guess...

Charlie didn't say it but I like that one with the restuarant in the background. It lets people know and understand that it's a street performer without needing your explanation.

Charlie didn't say it but I like that one with the restuarant in the background. It lets people know and understand that it's a street performer without needing your explanation.

Context always helps... ;)

I love 16th street... I can't wait until Labor Day Weekend when we will be going back! We are going to Denver to see the Reds play and hopefully sweep the Rockies!

I love 16th street... I can't wait until Labor Day Weekend when we will be going back! We are going to Denver to see the Reds play and hopefully sweep the Rockies!

As long as traffic doesn't get blocked on 20th when I leave work, I don't care who wins! lol! I wish they would build some pedestrian bridges there at the stadium across 20th.. it is nasty!

Denver was interesting - liked the vibe of the morning better than later afternoon. It was a little odd to walk down the street following the odor of a joint. Never mind the guy standing on the corner openly offering weed for sale.

f/4 is the max aperture at 35mm for me. I could zoom out to 17 and f/2.8, but was afraid of being right in his face. Didn't want to switch to the 70mm and have to back out into the bus lane. (I think those guys get as tired of the pedestrians as Charlie ;) ). Like I said, haven't done much people photography, so this was good learning for me.

Man, I love Denver. These are cool pictures. They make me 1) miss Denver; 2) Miss the street pianos we had in SLC. I got a great one of a clearly homeless man with cart of belongings just going to town on one, played really awesome. The downer was it was before I got my DSLR, so the phone had to do. Made for a cool instagram though...

Nice shots!

Most reactions

Back