JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting good at this posting stuff ;) Haha lol

Anywho, here is the original...
IMG_0184-2.jpg

And here is the edited... I cropped it and lightened it and I think I did a crappy job...
Caleblightened.jpg

Main thing I am looking for is someone to tell me what to do to edit the original to make it look better so I can experiment with GIMP... That is how this all started ;) LOL

First and foremost he is a cute young man, so I mean no harm.

If you are looking for more than a snap shot this one wont make it. Shoot it again and don't cut the top of his head off.

The crop shot making him even bigger and this making the top of his head even more of an issue isnt helping the shot.

It is also slightly out of focus, which you can sharpen.....but only to a point without other distortion.

Not much more I can suggest other than to re-shoot.

lol I forgot to mention that... I didn't mean to cut his head off - it was one of those things where I was just shooting randomly and just managed to catch this face! I love the expression on his face and have gotten upset about the top of his head being cut off and have since gotten past it ;)

Instead of shooting randomly...

...bah...nevermind.

Re-shoot and give him the "head room" he needs so we can focus on his expression without being distracted. I have learned that lesson a few weeks ago too! Kinda a noob here too...

he blends into the background, try some back-lighting. Good expression though... Oh yeah and we like to know what you shot it on body and glass etc. to help you out. If we don't know what your shooting with its hard to say what you limitations are etc. does that make sense? Some people wont reply because it seems like a waste of time FYI...

...bah...nevermind.

This.

If you want anything other than a snapshot that might randomly turn out okay, put some thought into it.

I'm not sure how you critique a random snapshot other than to say if it works or it doesn't. Talking about lighting, focus, composition, DOF, yadda yadda is all moot when you are shooting randomly.

...bah...nevermind.

This.

If you want anything other than a snapshot that might randomly turn out okay, put some thought into it.

I'm not sure how you critique a random snapshot other than to say if it works or it doesn't. Talking about lighting, focus, composition, DOF, yadda yadda is all moot when you are shooting randomly.

I agree and what are you shooting randomly on? I Sony cybershot? give us something to go on here... as for your Gimp? I don't even know what that is, editing software I suppose? I use CS4 and Light-Room so you are more experienced then me in GIMP. :confused:

When I am doing young children, I don't like to pose, I like candids so I just shoot randomly while they are playing and get what I get...

It was shot with a Canon XS with an 18-55 using the closeup setting... this was before I decided to get into the photography thing and really put some thought into stuff... This pic was taken 2 months ago...

Well, then...good luck with your random "photography".

Let me know when you want serious C&C.

I only shoot kids randomly...

When I am doing other things, i set them up... I don't think posing kids really shows who they are... We don't do "studio" pictures for holidays or for school pictures...

It shows more personality if you catch a child in their natural environment and doing what they want to do...

Besides that, I did state that this picture was taken about 2 months ago before I even considered really doing photography...

If I am taking your comment incorrectly, I apologize... I'm reacting to how it sounded based on what I read...

I only shoot kids randomly...

When I am doing other things, i set them up... I don't think posing kids really shows who they are... We don't do "studio" pictures for holidays or for school pictures...

It shows more personality if you catch a child in their natural environment and doing what they want to do...

Besides that, I did state that this picture was taken about 2 months ago before I even considered really doing photography...

If I am taking your comment incorrectly, I apologize... I'm reacting to how it sounded based on what I read...

I think your missing his point completely, Random sounds like your looking away from the viewfinder as you waving your camera around and letting the shutter fly in the direction of your kids, don't pose your kids, just frame your shots better. Its like shooting wild life I get it, still frame your shots, use head room, looking room rule of thirds etc. etc. or else people are gonna keep lighting you up on here...

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS
Image Date: 2009:12:25 20:31:12
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 33.0mm
CCD Width: 22.25mm
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

You should have learned a lot from this shot, including:

1) on-camera flash is terrible because it takes all the texture out of the face
2) using a short focal length makes the face look distorted. (take your pix at 55 mm until you learn better)
3) get back a little so there is some room in the picture for all of the baby parts.
4) and, most of all, don't post random shots asking for people to make them better. Put some effort into it first, post your own best effort and then ask people to invest time to help you get better from there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back