Pic of sculpture: opinions?

andrew99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajwalker.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is a shot of part of a sculpture I found in a park. I can't decide if I like the composition or not. On one hand, I think the dark stone looks good against the sky, but I think the tree is annoying. Also should I have moved a bit to the left? Let me know any suggestions, since there is something about the composition which doesn't sit right with me, but I can't figure out why! :)

2401517971_6c2de8d140_b.jpg

There is a mass of black in the centre of your photo. No more than that. You even tried to selectively brighten it (it now has a very visible halo, which is not good, I say). It is not immediately recognisable as the sculpture that you have seen as a whole but we, the viewers, don't know. Therefore all we see is that big black mass ... and big black masses are not quite as interesting as you had hoped your photo might be, I guess.

I'm with Lafoto here, the first thing I noticed was the blackness and then the halo that makes it look like it's glowing.

As far as composition goes, yes I can see what you mean about the tree but if you moved to the left more I'm guessing the photo would have been a great chunk of statue with very little to offset it.

Maybe if you have a chance to revisit the location try turning the camera at some crazy angle and make the image a little more abstract, maybe with the sky as a background.

Just a thought

Thanks guys, I guess I was just a bit disappointed, I thought I had a cool photo when I took it, but when I got home I didn't know what to do with it, haha.

If I remember what I did, the halo is from sharpening using the High Pass filter in Photoshop... I'll have to be a bit more subtle with my post processing, for sure! :)

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it.

honestly, i like it the way it is. it has a cool effect that you don't see often. i like the focal on the side texture of the rock.

Most reactions

Back