Pickin' strawberries and jumping in the pool.

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some photos I took today. I've been wanting to do some harvesting shots the last couple weeks but it's been a pain getting a farm to allowing me in the fields. I wish it had been a little sunnier today so I could have a higher contrast environment and some shadows to show of the textures of their weather-beaten faces, but I took what I could get.

3493225848_d20ca7f4b7_o.jpg

3493225874_6ba3509ec4_o.jpg

3492407483_bdd288781e_o.jpg

3516206917_c7281e2f6c_o.jpg

3492422191_7022615bf0_o.jpg

And this is a swimming shot I took during sections today. I know sports should normally be in color and most of the time i would agree, but in this case b&w worked a lot better.

3492407357_1db219dce5_o.jpg

As always comments and crits are welcomed. I suspect some people won't like the unconventional crops on some, but I hope you guys enjoy them.

Last edited:
Really great pictures
icon_thumright.gif

The only thing I might say is that in the one that is third from bottom, I would like to have seen the whole of her hat and head, but then again, the shot would probably not look as good if it was there ...

And I love the angle you got on the swimmer, never seen a pic like that before :)

Really great pictures
icon_thumright.gif

The only thing I might say is that in the one that is third from bottom, I would like to have seen the whole of her hat and head, but then again, the shot would probably not look as good if it was there ...

And I love the angle you got on the swimmer, never seen a pic like that before :)

I am in the office right now working on some shots, but when I get home I will post another shot. I just happen to have a shot with her whole head and hat and it doesn't work as well. I'll let you be the judge though.

That's for the great comments, everyone.

I see now why you liked the first version better, since the frame is so tight in to her right hand side, it looks a bit off balance with more space above her head. And also because the other worker's arm is cut off on the left side, so it looks more even if she is cropped as well. I guess what struck me first was that the "subjects" ie the two workers were on either side of the image, and it felt like they were somewhat out of it, but the field itself is an important part of the composition as well. So you've succeeded in making me think differently regarding composition, for which I thank you :)

Last edited:
A couple more. Looks like I need a levels bump and a tad more contrast on the first. It's a bit low even for me.

3494560865_e7a72ca55e_o.jpg
3494560811_e9448b2041_o.jpg

Some more, mostly similar shots. I wasn't planning on shooting more today, but the lady loved the prints I gave her and insisted I take more shots of her.

3502088825_4fd6a5a3c3_o.jpg

3502013993_e9ce304ee7_o.jpg

3502013911_acf0b9865f_o.jpg

3501574419_b64d9d1dce_o.jpg

Overall they all seem a bit flat and muddy (at least on my monitor). Secondly, I am disappointed because in the first set, you've clipped something, a hand, feet, head, et cetera, off your primary center of interest. You dodging/burning is too obvious.

In particular, I like the look of #2 (here the clip works because it is a big clip), but (the big but), would have liked to seen absolutely no face at all (just hat) or more face (the whole enchilada).

The diving shot is very good, but loses it on the muddy tones. Personally, I'd try a tighter crop ... mmmhhh ... crop in from the sides to the edge of the starting block.

Gary

Overall they all seem a bit flat and muddy (at least on my monitor). Secondly, I am disappointed because in the first set, you've clipped something, a hand, feet, head, et cetera, off your primary center of interest. You dodging/burning is too obvious.

In particular, I like the look of #2 (here the clip works because it is a big clip), but (the big but), would have liked to seen absolutely no face at all (just hat) or more face (the whole enchilada).

The diving shot is very good, but loses it on the muddy tones. Personally, I'd try a tighter crop ... mmmhhh ... crop in from the sides to the edge of the starting block.

Gary

I like you PM discussion idea.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back