Picking the right flash

So overall the sb800 is best out of that range?

depends on what your uses are and how much money you have.

You might want to go into detail so we can help you.

While we are on the subject of flashes, what would work best for a Rebel ESi for average family and amatuer photos

Anyone paying $600 for an SB-800 deserves it.
:lol::lol::lol: too right.

I bought two last year from Adorama Used section. Granted, I paid nearly the same price as I did for my first (new), but I like 'em. My SB-600 comes out when in a pinch or just fluffing about.

sb-600, i love mine :)

I know right? They give such soft light when they're on your cameras hot shoe, and when you'd like to take it off camera the output options for a sync cable are so diverse!

/sarcasm

I'm just trying to get together a kit for a number of different things.

The flash would most likely be used for portraiture, or event photography at night.

Money is the limiter here :(

I only have a D90 but I'm trying to get together enough decent photo's to make a portfolio

I'm just trying to get together a kit for a number of different things.

The flash would most likely be used for portraiture, or event photography at night.

Money is the limiter here :(

I only have a D90 but I'm trying to get together enough decent photo's to make a portfolio

Amazon.com: Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

FlashZebra.com: Deluxe Nikon Hotshoe to Pocket Wizard, CyberSync or Elinchrom Skyport (Item #0151)

Amazon.com: Westcott 45" Optical White Satin Umbrella with Removable Black Cover: Electronics

Amazon.com: Westcott 750 Photo Basics 7.0-Foot Light Stand: Electronics

Amazon.com: Shoe Mount Multiclamp: Electronics

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4 (you could always use Nikon's CLS in certain circumstances)

There.

If you were going to do just portraiture, I'd tell you to get 2 Vivitars 285's, but if you're going to do events, you'll want to look decent. And a vivitar, although a powerful and solid flash, looks like Napoleon owned one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
amazing, 800s discontinued and used cost more then when they were new OR new 900 units. It does say about its quality :D

I'm still learning how to use my 900.. and while I don't have anything to compare it to (900 is the first flash i've ever used)... i gotta agree and say that it DOES overheat quite often :meh:... i always have to carry a pack of batteries in my bag too, it uses it up quickly... not sure if all the nikon flashes are like that but i HATE having to use AA batteries on a $500 flash... it seems like for such a high quality flash they would use a lithium ion battery or something that lasts longer (or that you can at least recharge it)...

So I've found an SB-600 for a decent price.

This would be the best first-timer all-round flash to use for a number of different types of photography?

Are you totally incapable of making a decision unaided? :lol:

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's how humans learn. :thumbup:

After all it's only money, and not very much money at that.

I'm asking for advice from people who know better than me.

It costs half grand, I'd rather check first.

Most reactions

Back