Pics from today...C&C please! Thanks!

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my girls out to a ranch near our house for a walk today and they insisted on wearing Grandma's Cinderella dresses she made for them. I brought my camera. Any critique is GREATLY appreciated...especially about post production. I know nothing about it so I feel like anytime I mess with a picture, it's just me randomly sliding bars back and forth with no real idea of what looks good or bad. (I hear you cringing!!)

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg
)

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

I know nothing about it so I feel like anytime I mess with a picture, it's just me randomly sliding bars back and forth with no real idea of what looks good or bad. (I hear you cringing!!)

+1 I do the same thing lol

I don't feel I know enough to give any kind of feedback, but nice photos!

I really enjoy the composition of the first one. Its too washed out though, you need to edit the curves a bit.

On second one, I like what you did with the saturation, but I think you need to tone the highlights down on the foremost dress, it is way too blown out.

I like the way you compose your shots, they're very interesting.

The Shots are Great! The First one did appear slightly washed out (as StillWater said)

I cleared it up in PhotoShop (with levels), added a little bit of saturation, and sharpened the eyes up a bit, hard to tell a difference unless you have them side-by-side. Don't hesitate to ask if you have PP questions!

img0402ix8.jpg

I am a complete noob, but i had to comment on photo #3. I love it. The weathered door as a backdrop to her angelic face is a great composition (IMO). Thank you for sharing. I am to much of a noob to critique, but they look great to me. signed.........Randall

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I REALLY appreciate it! After being on this forum for a week or so I've started to feel crummy about my pictures. There are so many amazing photographers here. It's nice to hear that I'm doing something right.

However, I really do ALSO appreciate the critique tremendously...it is the ONLY way I'm going to get better.

Stillwater: Thanks for the advice on the first and second picture. I don't know how to do curves, but I'm going to watch some tutorials today and you've given me something to focus on so I will know where to begin.

Adam: Thanks for taking the time to adjust photo #1. It is amazing that you know exactly what needs to be done to make the photo just a little nicer. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for offering to help with my PP questions. It is going to be my focus in the coming months (years??)

Which photo editing program are you using? If you're using Photoshop here is a link to some editing tips:

Post Production

The composition in your images are pretty good (#2 is great) so you're not a total beginner (right?). You have a Canon 30D so I'm guessing you've been shooting for awhile. But how far have you pushed yourself as a photographer? And what kind of photography are you interested in?

Here are some links to some photography tips that you may find helpful...

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Photograph...

How To Improve Your Photography: 5 Easy Tricks

Which photo editing program are you using? If you're using Photoshop here is a link to some editing tips:

Post Production

The composition in your images are pretty good (#2 is great) so you're not a total beginner (right?). You have a Canon 30D so I'm guessing you've been shooting for awhile. But how far have you pushed yourself as a photographer? And what kind of photography are you interested in?

Here are some links to some photography tips that you may find helpful...

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Photograph...

How To Improve Your Photography: 5 Easy Tricks

Thanks for asking. I have had my 30D for a couple of years. I bought just the body and an L-series lens (because I did a little research before I bought the camera and knew it was a good lens). I had it on AUTO setting until just three months ago! This past summer I finally picked up some books and began reading about photography and I took a little one day workshop and now am using my Manual setting and am feeling pretty comfortable. I still consider myself a newbie.
I currently use "Aperture" on my Mac, but I DO have Photoshop. I have just been really intimidated by it so I've avoided it altogether. I just opened it this morning and saw some of the tutorials so hopefully I can make the change soon. I've been looking to take a beginner's class, but am limited due to childcare issues so it looks like the tutorials, YouTube and all of you will be my only help at the moment.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I am mostly interested in shooting children at the moment.

Thanks also for the links. I am very much interested in reading any content I can get a hold of...for as long as the kiddos will let me neglect them. ;)

I have had my 30D for a couple of years. I bought just the body and an L-series lens (because I did a little research before I bought the camera and knew it was a good lens).
Nice set up. I'm a Canon shooter but haven't gotten any L series lenses yet and only shooting with a XTi for now. I'll upgrade when I feel my photography is good enough to justify the expense (I'm basically a newbie too...only been shooting for a year).
I had it on AUTO setting until just three months ago! This past summer I finally picked up some books and began reading about photography and I took a little one day workshop and now am using my Manual setting and am feeling pretty comfortable. I still consider myself a newbie.
Full manual? Wow, I give you credit. For most outdoor shots I use Av mode but when I'm shooting with a Speedlite I go to full manual on the camera and flash for the control. I tried shooting manual outdoors but had a hard time keeping up with changing conditions while trying to take pictures of our dogs.
I currently use "Aperture" on my Mac, but I DO have Photoshop. I have just been really intimidated by it so I've avoided it altogether. I just opened it this morning and saw some of the tutorials so hopefully I can make the change soon. I've been looking to take a beginner's class, but am limited due to childcare issues so it looks like the tutorials, YouTube and all of you will be my only help at the moment.
I'm a newbie at Photoshop but I do have several books I'm trying to get through. I hope to pickup Lightroom 2 soon (more stuff to learn...*sigh*...). Some of my shooting buddies recently told me to check out YouTube as there are tons of tutorials on it for Photoshop and Lightroom. I haven't gotten around to it yet but it sounds like a good way to learn.
Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I am mostly interested in shooting children at the moment.
How To Photograph Children

Photographing Children - A Quick Tip

Photographing Children - Composition

Thanks also for the links. I am very much interested in reading any content I can get a hold of...for as long as the kiddos will let me neglect them. ;)
Here's a few web sites to start with...

Jodie Coston's Free Onliine Photography Course

Digital Photography School

Digital Photography Tutorials

Wow, that was really nice of you. I appreciate all of the links. This is exactly what I need. Thanks so much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back