What's new

pics

Ashley2982

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 13, 2012
Messages
163
Reaction score
7
Location
Greenville Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
finally got my Nikon here are some pics i have taken t $white.webp$tree1.webpt u think...................thanks$brown.webp$27.webp$butterfly.webp$cheeks.webp$clouds.webp$woods.webp
 
Last edited:
A lot of photos. What do you think about each shot in terms of composition, lighting and technical quality?
 
I like the cedar (?) or juniper (?) trees and the berries the most. To me, that is the best photo of all, because it is simple, clear, and there is only ONE subject, and it is shown well.
 
I love the kid's image very much; so natural.... especially in the first one
 
Much better than the iPhone, you're off to a great start
bigthumb.gif
 
this actually got more C&C than a lot of posts do.

They're all fairly well exposed, but they're just pictures. I don't mean that in a belittling way, but they don't really seem to have any clear thought of what it is you're trying to show the viewer. WHat you're trying to 'say' with it. First is a picture of a flower, it's pretty. 2nd is a picture of a falling tree. It's interesting if it's on my property, otherwise I just kinda think 'um, so?' 3rd has some potential, but it still just doesn't really say a whole lot to me. 4th and 6th are a kid. They're fine if it's your kid. Otherwise it's just another picture of a baby. 5th is a picture of a butterfly (or moth, not sure) on a hand. It's fine if that's your thing, but nothing stands out about it. 6th is a fine picture of cloud textures. I actually like this one, it's pleasant. But there's not much to it either. It doesn't have any point to it, other than just being a pleasant picture of some skies. Sure, that's fine, but such an image isn't going to generate much comment. It takes almost no work from teh photographer's creative element to get a photo like that. It just takes a nice sky and the right settings.

The last image has some potential to say something, but the random limb clutters it, and the strip of powerline in the upper right corner distracts. It's also framed like it's a person, without really having any reason for being as such.

Basically the common thread is thinking harder about what you want your photos to communicate. It doesn't always have to be a story, it can be a mood, or a feeling. But if you want them to impact people you need to give them something other than just being a pretty visual image to strike them.
 
The flower one is okay, but I am a sucker for a shallow DOF. The butterfly one had potential, but it is really small and I think it is OOF. I can't really tell and I see fake nails which makes me think of bacteria growing under them. Yucky. (That is my crazy nurse side of me coming out) The cloud one is a nice color blue, but it is really not anything that I can't just look up in the sky and see myself. Does that make sense?
The ones of your daughter look like snapshots. You were on the right track with the second one. She is not looking at the camera, but she is still smack dab in the center. So, maybe look into some basic rules of composition and see if you could start practicing with these. I always thought, oh geez how hard could composition really be, but it truly takes alot of practice and I still have alot to learn as well.
 
I am going to give you the information on composition again. These are all seriously lacking compositionally. They're all dead center in your image. I'd suggest a long, hard study. It can be a LOT of fun and it's something that you can learn from doing at least once a year from now till... Well, forever. I discover different ways to see things every. single. time. I. do. it.
Take your time and concentrate on each aspect of creative composition. THen go back through and try combining the different elements of basic composition. Here is my favorite website on the most basic composition Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.
 
What Nikon were these taken with?


I like all of them. Awesome photos.
 
I like all of them. Awesome photos.

I try not to respond to other commenters but, come on, these are not awesome.
The camera did 99% of the work here. They are what the camera decided, the white balance is off, they show very little if any attempt to compose the image or to make us see what the photographer thought was interesting.

These are not awesome, they are ok snapshots.
 
The_Traveler said:
I try not to respond to other commenters but, come on, these are not awesome.
The camera did 99% of the work here. They are what the camera decided, the white balance is off, they show very little if any attempt to compose the image or to make us see what the photographer thought was interesting.

These are not awesome, they are ok snapshots.

Obviously you must be good enough to put down other people's photos.

The question I asked was what Nikon camera was used.

Maybe OP isn't a Professional like you must be? But I think her pictures are awesome and I am entitled to share my opinion.

So try harder to not respond to other commenters.
 
Obviously you must be good enough to put down other people's photos.

There's a big difference between 'putting down other people's photos" and providing truthful criticism.

The question I asked was what Nikon camera was used.

D3100

Maybe OP isn't a Professional like you must be? But I think her pictures are awesome and I am entitled to share my opinion.

Yes you are. As are the rest of us, too. However, I'm inclined to agree with Traveler. These aren't earth-shattering captures. They're not automatically destined for the recycle bin, either. When he says 'the camera did most of the work', well, it did. Take the shot of the fallen tree trunk. The flash fired on that one. Given the lighting, is there any reason to even use a flash? It certainly wouldn't help the image any, and even though the returning light was detected by the camera, it doesn't show up to the eye. Composition, exposure and white balance aside, this means the OP hasn't fully grasped the functions of the camera and is simply letting the camera make the decisions.

So try harder to not respond to other commenters.

I dub this the Auto-Redundant Self-Excluding Statement of the Week.
 
Last edited:
The daisy image(#1) and the last wood image are excellent too :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom