Picture for review

amber.martin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, im ready for the wrath! lol. As i said in my intro, im quite serious about making photography a full time career. I need all the constructive critism you have! this is from a shoot for a friend.

DSC_00812.jpg

That's a really good crop.

Your original version would work if he was looking to the right. Nice photo though.

his head turned! i never thought of that! we were planning a reshoot so maybe ill try it and see how i like it :) thanks guys! oh and i do like it cropped too, i was trying to think "outside the box"

I actually like the background, I think it fits the picture well. I would not crop it as close a BusRider, I would've left the shoulder in the shot.
It seeme a little soft, maybe play with the sharpness some.

I hope you don't mind, some selective sharpening and feathering. Alittle more I might be able to bring his eyes out if the picture was bigger. This small file size makes the detail stuff much harder. Just a tiny bit of touch up.
DSC_00812b.jpg

Awesome crop and awesome edit! VTF your always doing some good touch ups. This pictures looks paramounts better after cropping it. I don't even care if I used that word wrong hahahah.

Awesome crop and awesome edit! VTF your always doing some good touch ups. This pictures looks paramounts better after cropping it. I don't even care if I used that word wrong hahahah.
Thanks, the key is to is to know when PP begins to be too much. I myself am still learning this.
One has to take a good shot first before PP can even be thought of.
We'll see what the OP thinks.

wow! thanks for the help! that REALLY looks good now. cropping it is a must im seeing! and i do like the sharper image! before i give him the pictures, im def going to go through them and sharpen them up a bit, maybe do cropping as well ;) but your overall opinion? think it has good bones, the technique? i cant thank you guys enough for your opinions! :D

wow! thanks for the help! that REALLY looks good now. cropping it is a must im seeing! and i do like the sharper image! before i give him the pictures, im def going to go through them and sharpen them up a bit, maybe do cropping as well ;) but your overall opinion? think it has good bones, the technique? i cant thank you guys enough for your opinions! :D
What does the color version of your photo look like?

You want to avoid cropping if at all possible.

When you crop you are throwing away pixels. NOT GOOD.

Get the framing right in the camera, so you don't have to crop.

You just need to be mindful of the size an image will be printed because most dSLRs make photos in a 3:2 aspect ratio but you may want to print at 5:4 or 7:5, or 1:1. To accomodate the other print aspect ratios you need to leave room in the frame specifically for cropping. It's called 'shooting fat'.

Last edited:
I think you did a good job. I think it would look better if he was facing slightly right and maybe even looking with his eyes back at the camera, but that doesn't mean I don't think the pic looks bad by any means. :)

You just need to be mindful of the size an image will be printed because most dSLRs make photos in a 3:2 aspect ratio but you may want to print at 5:4 or 7:5, or 1:1. To accomodate the other print aspect ratios you need to leave room in the frame specifically for cropping. It's called 'shooting fat'.

right, i just should have zoomed in more then, right? im aware of the pixels, i was just thinking for displaying online. ill just have to be conscience of it on my next outing :)
good thing hes just a phone call for a redo! haha

right, i just should have zoomed in more then, right? im aware of the pixels, i was just thinking for displaying online. ill just have to be conscience of it on my next outing :)
good thing hes just a phone call for a redo! haha

"right, i just should have zoomed in more then, right?"

No...you should have rotated the camera to portrait orientation in the field, when you took the photo...

duh! sorry, dont quite know where my head it. lol the zoom would have cut him off. haha, wow.

Most reactions

Back