Pietzmoor in Luneburg Heath (North Germany)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It was a beautiful, sunny Sunday last Sunday. My husband suggested we go for a walk in Pietzmoor. It is a re-naturated swamp land which had fallen dry until some 30 years ago, but which some ecologists decided should become a swamp again. So it is kind of unique in an otherwise drained countryside. Ideal for photography, so I say, so this outing could actually made me put a film into my camera again, something that I couldn't make myself do ever since we've been back home from Ireland.

See some of the results:

68904942.jpg

One of the few wide angle photos I took, and you see the paths they built through the swamp

68904952.jpg

When the countryside fell dry, moss started to grow, soil built itself, grass came and then the birches. In the course of the re-naturation process, the birches got "wet feet" which kills them eventually. So the new moor lakes all still show the dead trunks of the former trees, which make for some interesting images

68904950.jpg

Nice reflections on the water

Will be back for more.

i really like colours here-:)
it seems the fall's came to Germany too-:)

is it big? (the area of the re-naturated swamp?)

nice pics, la Foto!

Thanks for your comments, Anja.
The area isn't that large, you can walk round there on those planks (or normal walkways where the ground's dry enough) in about an hour.

Like I said, I'm now back with some more:

68904948.jpg

It's obviously autumn, or fall, here, and the birch leaves (of the remaining birches on the edges) have fallen onto the surface of the lake areas

68904945.jpg

Most trees within the lakes, however, have lost their ability to shed any leaves in autumn/fall....
This photo has suffered a lot in the scanning process and I could not get it back to what it looks like on paper - whatever I tried to do. The scan takes away a lot....

68904946.jpg

I gave this tree a name, I call it 'Knorri', and I honour it with a photo every time I get to be in Pietzmoor.

Actually, I tried to be in this moor in all four seasons, but so far we've never made it there in SUMMER. Funny, isn't it. In August, the heather which grows on the edges of the swampy parts, is in full bloom. I've never so far caught that sight!!!

But spring and winter are nice, too. Do you want to see some of those pics?

The first picture on the second post....I really like that pic, says autumn to me.

Does Germany get much in the way of fall colours? Where I live we get mostly yellow colours mixed with a lot of green and very little of any other colour..

Most reactions

Back