pin hole blur

malbec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
is the reason motion is blurry in pinhole photography because u arent using the shutter speed? is it not blurry everything is in focus?

Yes.

Long shutter speeds tend to make moving objects blurry.

As far as non-moving objects, you can't really expect pinhole to be as sharp as if you had actually used a lens...

BTW... I like that wine - malbec, lol.

Motion blurring is from slow shutter speed.

Although everything is in focus with a pinhole camera, everything is also "blurry" because of diffraction, especially with a high-res detector or fine-grain film. When light passes next to an edge, it's distorted. The smaller your hole, the more edge light relative to no edge. I'm probably not saying that clearly, but just know when your aperture closes down, diffraction will ruin your image. With modern CMOS sensors diffraction will start to become visible anywhere in the f/4 to f/16 range depending on pixel size. As an example, take a pinhole of 1/32" put on the front of your DSLR camera which would be approximately 2" away from the sensor. 2 divided by 1/32 = f/64 which would give mega diffraction. Move the pinhole to 4" and you have f/128 - not to mention the distortion because there is no actual lens, but that's another matter altogether.

Pinhole cameras do much better with low resolution large format film/sensor because of the incredibly slow f-ratios.

i made a pinhole camera out of a shoebox and black paint, is this what your using or do they actually make professional pinhole cameras?

i made a pinhole camera out of a shoebox and black paint, is this what your using or do they actually make professional pinhole cameras?

I don't know about professional pinhole cameras, but they do make pinhole body caps that you could put on pretty much any SLR (or you could make your own out of a spare body cap).

I don't know about professional pinhole cameras, but they do make pinhole body caps that you could put on pretty much any SLR (or you could make your own out of a spare body cap).
interesting, maybei can find one for my SLR i used years back, i enjoyed using the pinhole shoebox camera i made, lol.

no i dont have a pinhole camera but youtube has some interesting videos of people making them:blushing:

[]Buy a DSLR (cheap one will do for this so a nikon D40 I suppose.)
[]Buy a spare body cap
[]Get a Needle and a Lighter and a pair of pliers
[] Place a bit of coloured tape in the center of the body cap (so you know where to burn)
[]Place the RED hot Needle on that Coloured tape and let it melt through
[]Put body cap on camera
[]Point, Compose, Shoot.

[]Buy a DSLR (cheap one will do for this so a nikon D40 I suppose.)
[]Buy a spare body cap
[]Get a Needle and a Lighter and a pair of pliers
[] Place a bit of coloured tape in the center of the body cap (so you know where to burn)
[]Place the RED hot Needle on that Coloured tape and let it melt through
[]Put body cap on camera
[]Point, Compose, Shoot.

You forgot one step (maybe the most important one).

Mark the center of the body cap and put the hole there.
A "piece of tape" is a pretty big target for a needle... ;)

I'm not really sure what would happen if the hole wasn't in the center... Might be cool, who knows... If all it costs to find out is the cost of a body cap, it might be a fun experiment, then again - it could be a complete waste of time, lol.

Most reactions

Back