Pinhole Photograph with 6-month exposure

Hmmmmmm...

You could also use something like welders glass.

Instead of using a very strong ND filter it would be better to not use developer. This would also reduce or eliminate LIRF - low intensity reciprocity failure. It isn't long exposure times that cause reciprocity failure, but low light intensity falling on the film - not enough silver atoms present at one time to form a stable latent image nucleus.

What happens if you just wash it and put it in fixer?

My photos are usually too bright negatives so in positive they are too dark but I dont see the reason. I always put the cameras on clear spots where they were heading to sun path and when I did 1 day exposure it was much brighter then when I did 14 days exposure. Same paper.

Having met Justin Quinnell last year, he explained to me how he did this, the images were actually burnt into photographic paper that he used, which was rated at about ISO 3. he never developed the images as such, but just skips straight to fixing them and then scans them into photoshop. when you have an exposure like this, it will burn into the paper at its own accord. the pinhole in the camera he used was made using the head of a small pin, and had a rough aperture of f/90

The images aren't really burnt in any more than a normal photograph can be said to have been burnt in - they are produced in the same way that a normal latent image is produced, ie the light converts silver halide into metallic silver. If the light falling on the sensitive film or paper is sufficient the image formed by the action of light alone is sufficiently dense that it does not need development. It's known as 'printing out'. You just fix and wash, as already described. In this case the speed of the material is much lower than ISO 3, because that speed was obtained by with development. The speed is very much lower without development. As I explained earlier, one of the advantages of this method compared to the use of heavy ND filters is that low intensity reciprocity failure is avoided.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back