pinhole photography, anyone?

AF44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My lens on my D40 is smashed so i decided i would try to do a little bit of pinhole photography. i took some aluminum foil and poked a really small hole right in the center and wrapped the foil around tightly around the lens mount area so the only light was coming through the pinhole. i took about 60 pictures and here are the few that came out 1/2 decent. looking through the pictures i realised that with all my dorking around i got some dust on my censor :grumpy: oh well too late now...

1. a shot of the moon and some streetlights over a reservoir iso 3200, 30 second exposure

2945651513_82b26e3829_b.jpg

2. a shot of my stepdad, iso 3200, .3 second

2946513248_04492b761b_b.jpg

3. shot of my toaster, iso 3200, .3 second

2946512114_cf9fd23d13_b.jpg

Try getting a body cap and poking a hole in it, or getting a bodycap pinhole, you might have better luck. It's on small format and you can't focus, so i really wouldn't expect much.

The shape and size of the hole play a big part in image quality of pinhole pictures. Punching a hole through aluminium foil is unlikely to give satisfactory results. You can find the ideal size of pinhole for your camera by using the pinhole designer.

Looks like your pinhole is too big, making a large aperture and very shallow DOF which is why they are out of focus.

Find a thin peice of brall or ali and dent it with a dot punch. Then sand down the dented side till you have the beginnings of a hole & tape it to an old body cap with a bigger hole behind it. This way you can keep trying it untill you get the hole the right size!

I actually like the image of your stepdad though. I like how his face is featureless and the upward angle from which it's shot. Kinda what a new born baby might see.

The shape and size of the hole play a big part in image quality of pinhole pictures. Punching a hole through aluminium foil is unlikely to give satisfactory results. You can find the ideal size of pinhole for your camera by using the pinhole designer.

Nice link! Thanks :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back