pinhole pic

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
Since I had a roll of B&W (which I don't particularly care for or use much) and a new pinhole for the Contax I went to the park to play.

The first is with the 50mm, 1/1000 @ f8. The second is with the pinhole, 4 sec @ f269.

This could be fun!

pinhole01.jpg

pinhole02.jpg

Jim

Is this the best results you got? Sorry. It look very soft. Was planning to try and make one, but not sure now. You took no color film? Have the levees changed for you yet? Would like to see the levees with soft colors

Jeff Canes said:
Is this the best results you got? Sorry. It look very soft. Was planning to try and make one, but not sure now.

I would say it's about what I expected to see. Most pinhole photographers are shooting onto larger format film or onto sheets of paper so that the enlargement ratio is less.

It's easy and cheap to build a "one-shot" (have to reload in the dark) pinhole camera that could take 4x5 film or 8x10 paper. Try that; you might see the sharpness you are looking for.

Maybe it wouldn't be so easy for color shots. Besseler makes a cardboard pinhole camera kit that takes 6x9cm shots on 120 roll film. I think it was pretty cheap. You could shoot color easily in that.

yeh, an SLR is not the right tool for pinhole photography. I did a pinhole out of a lens cap a few weeks ago. It was not worth it... You need indeed bigger film sheets.

But at least I can say I have used a $1,500 digital pinhole camera :lol:

Yeah, it's (a pinhole bodycap) just something to play with, not to be taken seriously. Pinhole pics generally don't respond well to enlargement. I scanned the prints so you guys could actually see them. The negs look better, but kinda small. :wink:

Color works for pinholes as well, but no matter what you're doing you shouldn't expect tack sharp photos. Contrary to the nature of the beast. I've seen some that looked pretty good sharpness wise, but they were the result of a great deal of tinkering with pinhole size and laser drilled holes, etc.

As Matt & doxx said, large format is the way to go here. If I wanted to do this a lot I'd go 4x5 sheet film as a minimum. Several kits available if you like to tinker.

No matter what method you decide to use you should expect to end up with surreal looking pics, which of the right subject can look really cool. In bright light, portraits can be taken with relatively short shutter speeds and would have a "dreamlike" look, if that's your thing.

photobug said:
No matter what method you decide to use you should expect to end up with surreal looking pics, which of the right subject can look really cool. In bright light, portraits can be taken with relatively short shutter speeds and would have a "dreamlike" look, if that's your thing.

I really like crazy pinhole "lens flare".

Some of the websites have pretty exact info on pinhole size and focal length, and I've seen some really sharp results from the right set up.

The weirder and more wacked out the better for me. I wonder if they can laser cut odd shaped pinholes?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back