Pink

Great picture. The color of the flamingo is really good! However, a question that always puzzled me a bit. How do you manage to get such a black background?

Great picture. The color of the flamingo is really good! However, a question that always puzzled me a bit. How do you manage to get such a black background?

The flamingo was standing where the background was quite dark already ( but not as dark as it is now). I then processed the photos (raw) file by decreasing exposure a little, shadows a little, adding a little highlights until it was visually pleasing to me

And there's no texture in the black, it's difficult to tell if the flamingo is standing against it or the black is cut out to show the flamingo. The very reason these black backgrounds do not work is that you can't create a mask that's good enough to be convincing and you remove the texture from the background so it's no longer consistent with the subject, it bears no relationship, it is removed... And who ever sees a colourful bird against a black background? Sorry, the bird's great but the background shows a lack of imagination. :(:(

Love this shot. And I commend you for getting the colors of the flamingo right. I have never ever been able to accomplish that.

Love this shot. And I commend you for getting the colors of the flamingo right. I have never ever been able to accomplish that.

Thank you

And there's no texture in the black, it's difficult to tell if the flamingo is standing against it or the black is cut out to show the flamingo. The very reason these black backgrounds do not work is that you can't create a mask that's good enough to be convincing and you remove the texture from the background so it's no longer consistent with the subject, it bears no relationship, it is removed... And who ever sees a colourful bird against a black background? Sorry, the bird's great but the background shows a lack of imagination. :(:(
Sure, because we NEVER see portraits taken against a black background. [emoji6]

To me, this is a flamingo portrait, and the background was done in the same manner many portraits shot against a black background are. (Flamingos need portraits too)
The bright color of the flamingo against the black background is striking and contrasty. Well chosen, like a person wearing light clothing when being shot against a black backdrop.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Sure, because we NEVER see portraits taken against a black background. [emoji6]

To me, this is a flamingo portrait, and the background was done in the same manner many portraits shot against a black background are. (Flamingos need portraits too)
The bright color of the flamingo against the black background is striking and contrasty. Well chosen, like a person wearing light clothing when being shot against a black backdrop.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I was watching a friend of mine editing some pro audio tapes once. The guy he was recording was a pro and didn't stop when he made a mistake, he simply paused and repeated. My pal was editing these out. To do it he not only recorded the voice but also recorded five minutes of the empty silent room. "Why don't you use blank tape?" I asked.
"Because," he said, " the recording of the empty room sounds different to blank tape. If I added pauses with blank tape you'd notice the abrupt change in ambient sound."
The same with portraits. if you shoot against a black background and edit the imperfections the 'ambient sound' remains the same. If you add a black background after you notice the abrupt change. Not least because there is a shadow from sunlight across the bird and the shadows on the bird are lit by reflected light. Look at it properly and tell me you don't think the bird and the background are disjointed. Look at the tail feathers, is the bird in front of the black or is the black in front of the bird?
Black is not the opposite of colour and hence not the best way to contrast it. Colour contrasts with colour, not a complete lack of it and a complete lack of brightness. This is basic colour theory, so yes, just putting things against a black background does show a lack of imagination and understanding of colour and doesn't give as good a contrast as you seem to want to believe. Just about any text book you care to read will tell you the same, so go and try it, be bold. :):)

I made my observations from looking at the image and noting what I saw, so I'm afraid you get a disagree back. ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back