Pip

boswell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
pip.jpg

Wonderful colours, very special (evening?) light, nice focus on the dog's face (mostly so eyes and that pink tongue) - all I miss to see is his second ear. That's all.
The expression in "Pip's" face is special, too!
All in all a pet portrait that I'd love to enlarge and put up on the wall, if this were my pet!

excellent composition and exposure. the only thing I could critique is that folks need to start paying attention to where they are focusing. If this picture was absolutely focused on the dog's eyes...it would be a ten. It looks to me as if the camera was doing a 'general' type focus.

metroshane
your right the shot was grabbed very quickly in Program mode so the camera controlled everything bar the composition.

LaFoto
every time I look at it I wish I'd got the camera a fraction lower so his left ear didn't blend into his body.

Trouble is a 10th of a second later and he leaped up to attack the stick he was playing with.

I like the focus/depth of field. Exposure and color is awesome, but I'm having difficulty with the crop. The composition bothers me. It seems to me that the eyes are placed too much toward the center of the photo. Nether-the-less, the excellent exposure and DOF makes the endeavor a success--You did good.

The Rebel

no crop involved the shot is as the camera recorded the moment no cropping no photoshop trickery just point and shoot no fiddling with settings the moment lasted about 2 seconds he's a lively stick player :)

I agree with ya about the rules thats why I posted the shot I wondered if others would agree with my gut feelin on it

This shot is weird. The composition bugs me in that the primary focus (dog's eyes/face) is smack in the center of the frame. But it somehow works on another level, I think because the rest of the dog's body creates a really nice diagonal toward the upper-right of the frame, and it's balanced with some good negative space around it. So I guess this is one of those instances where breaking the 'rules' somehow works.

glad to see it's sparked discussion, all the non photography and dog people who see it love it, me and Lisa love it cos it captures Pip playing perfectly yet like you lot I look at it and constantly ask why does it work cos this that and the other is not quite right. Bit like the heroines in Flemmings Bond novels they always had some flaw to make you keep looking I guess :)

Most reactions

Back