Pixel binning - what are the benefits?

Ponyshine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm a bit confused about the benefits of pixel binning and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Basically I'm trying to decide between 2 phones: either the moto G8 which has a 16 mp main camera or the moto e7 plus which has a 48 mp camera, however the latter has pixel binning so apparently the effective resolution is only 12 mp.

Which would you say is the better camera? To me the 16 mp one seems better for detail and quality of pics, but I don't understand what the benefits of the pixel binning are so I might be missing something. Which camera would you say is better?

Thanks!

I'm a Moto user and currently have the G8 Power Lite. I don't use the camera for any sort of serious photography tho, just off the cuff snaps.

I'm a bit confused about the benefits of pixel binning and was wondering if anyone could help me out?

Basically I'm trying to decide between 2 phones: either the moto G8 which has a 16 mp main camera or the moto e7 plus which has a 48 mp camera, however the latter has pixel binning so apparently the effective resolution is only 12 mp.

Which would you say is the better camera? To me the 16 mp one seems better for detail and quality of pics, but I don't understand what the benefits of the pixel binning are so I might be missing something. Which camera would you say is better?
Hi, and welcome!

Pixel "binning" is newer technology and is used to effectively increase the signal-to-noise ratio. The process combines the data from adjacent pixels. I think you should not try to predict the resolution by simply comparing the pixel count.

I suggest you compare these two phones by comparing the photographic product of each, and compare the prices as well. Try to view some photographs of the same subject, in comparable lighting, and without any post-capture editing applied. If you can actually see a difference, then your decision should be easier. Good luck!

I'm a Moto user and currently have the G8 Power Lite. I don't use the camera for any sort of serious photography tho, just off the cuff snaps.

Thanks for your reply - I have looked at the G8 Power Lite but think I'm still leaning towards the others I mentioned. I actually currently have a moto e5 and have been pretty happy with how photos turn out most of the time!

Hi, and welcome!

Pixel "binning" is newer technology and is used to effectively increase the signal-to-noise ratio. The process combines the data from adjacent pixels. I think you should not try to predict the resolution by simply comparing the pixel count.

I suggest you compare these two phones by comparing the photographic product of each, and compare the prices as well. Try to view some photographs of the same subject, in comparable lighting, and without any post-capture editing applied. If you can actually see a difference, then your decision should be easier. Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! Unfortunately comparing phones in a shop isn't a possibility right now with covid restrictions in place, but as you say, that would be the ideal! The prices are actually the same for both (although I think one is reduced from a higher price). To be honest, I think both will be pretty good based on some reviews I've read, and I currently have a moto phone and have been pretty happy with the camera so far!

Thanks again for your response!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back