Pixmedic's Photo Contest X "Broken"

DSC_6694.jpg

Capturing cascading water and color
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

Just posted this in the 'photoception' thread- but it's the most broken thing I've shot recently. My nephew at Big Cedar Missouri. Sad story, really, but it needs a little explanation to see how it depicts 'broken'.

We went on a nature walk together and came upon this lovely waterfall just before sunset. He set up his tripod for a long exposure of the water and hiked on a bit further since I had cleverly forgotten my tripod and I was tired of pestering him to borrow his. When I looked back I saw him setting up for the shot and I liked the light so I stopped and captured this. One of my favorites now.

OK- the sad part is that he he thought he really had a super nice shot until he got home and pulled it up on his computer. He had completely forgotten that he had been experimenting earlier with back-button focus so that EVERY shot on the hike was out of focus since he had forgotten to use the proper button and it was not obvious on the little LED screen on the camera. Ugh!

So- although it was self-inflicted, this photo hike left this fine youg gentleman broken hearted!

New year bump

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

In the words of Spinal Tap, it's time to Break Like the Wind.

Self portraits allowed?

I happened to look outside and this fellow and his riding buddy ( you can just see the top of his doorag above the gas tank ) had just started adjusting something on the bike. You can see the wrench in his hand and the toolkit on the seat. It was broken for a bit only, as he was able to ride it away from our street at least.

K1600_HD (1 of 1).JPG

Thanks for the opportunity, pixmedic :)

Faucet by the raised gardens, out back. Actually originally took the photo for the purpose of shopping for a replacement (ball) valve. For some reason it's turned into one of my favourites :)

Drip_Drip.jpg

That is a gorgeous shot, the light bloom contrasts the waterfall beautifully. Your friend also blends into the rocks in a way that I find quite pleasing.

I suppose those sorts of things happen to everybody, just part of life. It is said in audio mixing that everybody will spend 10 minutes playing with a set of faders, getting the levels exactly right...then realizing that the channels you were working on are empty. Every field I have ever engaged in has something like this:trying to debug a script that isn't be called, tuning air/fuel ratios in an engine with the wrong injector timings, tuning a different guitar string than the one you are trying to listening to...chopping the wrong onion for dinner tonight. Learning to move on from such things with your pride intact is an important but challenging life skill.

Ahem, nice picture.

Ribbon.jpg

"Ribbon"

10 points to anybody who can figure out what that is. This theme gave me an idea for a little experiment I'm still working with, but so far this is in contention for my favourite shot.

EDIT: I don't think anybody will figure this out. My Virtual Boy has a failure which seems to affect all of them and is difficult to repair. This is a screenshot of Warioland. Irritatingly, it started to more or less behave itself after I got all the settings dialed in. While I do have clearer shots, I like how completely screwed up this one is.

Last edited:
Ribbon.jpg

"Ribbon"

10 points to anybody who can figure out what that is. This theme gave me an idea for a little experiment I'm still working with, but so far this is in contention for my favourite shot.

Tail lights in the car window.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back