The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I regularly cruise TPF looking for interesting pictures or discussions and some pretty clear guidelines have self-defined.

I won't participate in threads where:

1) people have discovered that when they upload huge images to a hosting site, the image that shows on this site looks like crap. Inevitably someone recommends Flickr and thus ensures a bunch of posts on this and that. The real answer is: Upload the image at the size that it will be displayed and things will look fine. Photobucket gets bad rap here and I have used PB and Zenfolio for years with excellent results.

2) where the OP uploads anywhere from 5 to 100 pictures of various different things and then wants constructive comments. My constructive comment is 'upload one ot two of the best.'

3) where the op uploads 10-15 pictures, usually of children or truly boring landscapes, and again, wants some critique. Often the images differ from each other less than the DNA of identical twins. For answer, see #2.

4) where the op says here are x number of shots SOC. My internal response is usually 'put them back in, they aren't done.' Look, buddy, go as far as you can with one or two and post them. Then everything you here will be new and useful.

5) where the op posts any number of tiny pictures and then wants critique. Too small, too unclear, post larger. This site's size limit (800) is stupid enough without compounding the problem.

5) where people just beat the crap out of pictures in PPing, often adding a vignette so dark it looks like the room was on fire - and then claims it's their style. AFAIC this is a style like drinking Harvery Wallbangers until you puke. It's disgusting, it doesn't make any sense and I won't go near either one.

6) where the OP has been unpleasant, aggressive or rude in the past to me or other members I like. If they were drowning in a sea of flaming gasoline, maybe then I'd help, but maybe.

Where I am happy to participate and say anything useful I can is the opposite of all the above.
The OP puts up a reasonably sized picture or two, states their question or concern and is friendly and courteous - it doesn't hurt if they actually show some talent and a smidgen of skill.

Although I may violate #6 if the AIQ (A* In Question) posts a picture that so egregiously violates the bounds of any taste that it would be the utmost fun to say something.

Well then. Let me argue some of these the other way just because I think its fun to do.

1. Not much to say about this one I guess, but why don't you suggest Photobucket to them when someone does say Flickr?

2. Why can't people post more than 5 pictures? You're assuming that they know what pictures are the best out of them to post just one or two, but maybe they're posting them to get opinions on which "one or two look best" from the rest of the community. After all, we do have a community, why not utilize it.

3. Again, how are we supposed to assume that they think they're "truly boring landscapes"? I'm guessing they don't think they're bad at all and that is why photos like that are being posted, and in that case it is your job to give constructive criticism and tell them that they aren't the most aesthetically pleasing and help them LEARN since they obviously don't know already.

4. I haven't been around here long enough to figure out what SOC stands for but from context I'm guessing it has something to do with playing around with the photo on the computer. Here's what I have to say about that: Someone like myself doesn't have photoshop on my computer and I have to go to my college's computer lab to do that and I haven't had time to do so but I still want feedback. Whats the harm in posting something that hasn't seen any kind of touchups so that the community can tell them what they might want to check out when they get there? I'm sure I am in the minority with not having photoshop readily available but I was one of the people that said I still need to work on touching up the photos but posted them anyway and, personally, I don't see anything wrong with it.

5. No argument here.

5 (part 2 apparently :lol:). You don't like it, thats fine, but obviously someone does if they're posting them. You don't need to comment on them if you don't like them.

6. I'm not completely understanding this one since it seems like you're being quite aggressive with this post.

Anywho, just my thoughts on the matter. Don't mean to sound rude or unpleasant, just stating my opinions and I like small disagreements and "arguments" like this one.

I pretty much agree with all of that.

1) people have discovered that when they upload huge images to a hosting site, the image that shows on this site looks like crap. Inevitably someone recommends Flickr and thus ensures a bunch of posts on this and that. The real answer is: Upload the image at the size that it will be displayed and things will look fine. Photobucket gets bad rap here and I have used PB and Zenfolio for years with excellent results.
Flickr does seem to do a better job of resizing large photos than other hosting sites I've used...

What I hate is when people host their pictures on Facebook. I don't know why (not a programmer or anything like that), but Facebook absolutely destroys picture quality.

I don't know how many pictures I've seen on here that I thought were out of focus, only to see the "oh, they're just hosted on Facebook" reply. One - don't host pictures on Facebook. Two, if you KNOW that Facebook makes your pictures look like crap, don't be surprised when people tell you it looks like crap.

Well then. Let me argue some of these the other way just because I think its fun to do.

1. Not much to say about this one I guess, but why don't you suggest Photobucket to them when someone does say Flickr?
Because it's hard to fight popular opinion or popular ignorance.

2. Why can't people post more than 5 pictures? You're assuming that they know what pictures are the best out of them to post just one or two, but maybe they're posting them to get opinions on which "one or two look best" from the rest of the community. After all, we do have a community, why not utilize it.

Because some people give lengthy critique, for free. In the past we had someone post 20 images, someone gave lengthy critique of each, and was never thanked. People need to learn to self edit, and narrow their choices down for posting. If one really can't tell what a "decent" image is, they really should start looking at books and do a little self learning. If one only relies on TPF to learn, well...you can figure out where I am going with this.

3. Again, how are we supposed to assume that they think they're "truly boring landscapes"? I'm guessing they don't think they're bad at all and that is why photos like that are being posted, and in that case it is your job to give constructive criticism and tell them that they aren't the most aesthetically pleasing and help them LEARN since they obviously don't know already.

Again...do some browsing on the web, and get some books and then compare good photography to your own. It's amazing how little people know about art, yet want to be artists. Again, a little effort into learning beyond TPF will do wonders.

4. I haven't been around here long enough to figure out what SOC stands for but from context I'm guessing it has something to do with playing around with the photo on the computer. Here's what I have to say about that: Someone like myself doesn't have photoshop on my computer and I have to go to my college's computer lab to do that and I haven't had time to do so but I still want feedback. Whats the harm in posting something that hasn't seen any kind of touchups so that the community can tell them what they might want to check out when they get there? I'm sure I am in the minority with not having photoshop readily available but I was one of the people that said I still need to work on touching up the photos but posted them anyway and, personally, I don't see anything wrong with it.
GIMP Is free. Developing your photos and then posting will help you learn more on two fronts. SOOC means straight out of camera. To me this typically spells laziness, and a lack of desire to showcase the best possible product. Posting unfinished work tells me the poster is more eager to let someone else tell them what to do, rather than make their own decisions. I see so little effort put forth into learning around here.

5. No argument here.

5 (part 2 apparently :lol:). You don't like it, thats fine, but obviously someone does if they're posting them. You don't need to comment on them if you don't like them.
Beginners are all too often claiming the style card, while they are still clueless. Style develops over time. You start with the fundamentals.

6. I'm not completely understanding this one since it seems like you're being quite aggressive with this post.
Stick around.

Anywho, just my thoughts on the matter. Don't mean to sound rude or unpleasant, just stating my opinions and I like small disagreements and "arguments" like this one.

Alright, I think you won this one and I agree with most of the points that you made, I was just making disagreement to show the other side of things. I still see some things that might be a little too harsh but for the most part I agree, especially with your comebacks for 2 and 3, thats why I'm taking a class, so that I can learn from people outside of this site and just be able to show some of my stuff here. Thanks for telling me about GIMP, I'll have to check it out. I don't completely know what you mean with 6 though. What am I sticking around for?

I pretty much agree with all of that.

Flickr does seem to do a better job of resizing large photos than other hosting sites I've used...

What I hate is when people host their pictures on Facebook. I don't know why (not a programmer or anything like that), but Facebook absolutely destroys picture quality.

I don't know how many pictures I've seen on here that I thought were out of focus, only to see the "oh, they're just hosted on Facebook" reply. One - don't host pictures on Facebook. Two, if you KNOW that Facebook makes your pictures look like crap, don't be surprised when people tell you it looks like crap.

Haha I use Facebook if I've already uploaded them there only because I'm too lazy to upload them again to a different site :blushing:

Haha I use Facebook if I've already uploaded them there only because I'm too lazy to upload them again to a different site :blushing:

Exactly my point.
Making a substantive comment on someone's pictures takes some effort and I have no interest in expending effort if the OP doesn't care enough about the picture or any C/C to put a little effort in first.

I won't participate in threads where.

Well played, sir.

I have read several threads, since your recent return from hiatus, where your critique or questioning the OPs intent has been rebuffed or ignored completely. Such a shame, as I find insight to your words.

@piggles - As Bitter mentioned, stick around. You have less than 30 days experience on TPF.

First, piggle5, thanks for the thoughtful response.

This is where my unbounded self-assurance shows its ugly face. There is a non-trivial difference between boring in the ultimate sense of having little or no interesting part and boring in that I don't care about the subject - at least there is to me.
I can conquer the 'I don't care' issue to talk about the qualities of photos with subjects that bore me (landscapes in general, babies, most domestic animals, motorcycles, guns, etc); the really boring.
Pictures with no real center of interest and no real viewpoint, just flash in through my eyes and down my optic nerves and out of my consciousness without any response from my CNS. They may as well not be there as far as my higher functions are concerned.

And is not my job at all. I only C/C for one of three reasons:
  • To give the OP a viewpoint they might not have
  • Because I learned something from thinking about the picture or
  • It's just plain fun.

Exactly my point.
Making a substantive comment on someone's pictures takes some effort and I have no interest in expending effort if the OP doesn't care enough about the picture or any C/C to put a little effort in first.

If I upload it to Facebook and wait the "10 times longer" for it to bu uploaded in high quality it should be okay to post here. There is no need to upload it twice, doesn't mean I don't care about the photo :) Also If I post it from facebook and it looks like absolute poo then I'll upload it to my Flikr and post it.

3) where the op uploads 10-15 pictures, usually of children or truly boring landscapes, and again, wants some critique. Often the images differ from each other less than the DNA of identical twins. For answer, see #2.

So people should stop taking pictures of things they like, and base thier photography on someone elses opinion of what boring and whats not? Art is subjective

Also I don't understand why there is always a handful of people who find the need to blurt out these type of topics?? I mean whats the purpose?

oreally.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back