Places I will never be found

3) where the op uploads 10-15 pictures, usually of children or truly boring landscapes, and again, wants some critique. Often the images differ from each other less than the DNA of identical twins. For answer, see #2.

So people should stop taking pictures of things they like, and base thier photography on someone elses opinion of what boring and whats not? Art is subjective

Also I don't understand why there is always a handful of people who find the need to blurt out these type of topics?? I mean whats the purpose?
Now, I could be wrong - but I don't think The Traveler was saying that people should stop taking snapshots of their kids/pets/back yard/etc. He was (I think) saying that they should stop posting them here asking for C&C.

If you look at my Flickr (you don't have to, lol - just an example), probably 80-90% of what I have there is just snapshots of my kids. You don't see me posting them all here asking for C&C...

There's nothing wrong with snapshots, as long as you acknowledge that they are in fact snapshots.

So people should stop taking pictures of things they like, and base thier photography on someone elses opinion of what boring and whats not? Art is subjective

Also I don't understand why there is always a handful of people who find the need to blurt out these type of topics?? I mean whats the purpose?

If this was a site for emotionally injured patients, well then yes, everything they do is wonderful.
Come on over, we'll pat you on the butt and tell you sweet things.

But this is a photography site and, if you want people to see your work, you can expect that people will respond.
If you do want to take the same boring picture 30, 40 or 100 times, great but if you post them, you have to take the response.

And why blurt this out?
Well, for one thing it relieves my frustration at reading post after post wher people don't do any work for themselves and expect to be spoon fed knowledge without their feelings being hurt.

And since you asked, I notice that you don't post pictures.
So why do you care what other people think?

I regularly cruise TPF looking for interesting pictures or discussions and some pretty clear guidelines have self-defined.

I won't participate in threads where:

1) people have discovered that when they upload huge images to a hosting site, the image that shows on this site looks like crap. Inevitably someone recommends Flickr and thus ensures a bunch of posts on this and that. The real answer is: Upload the image at the size that it will be displayed and things will look fine. Photobucket gets bad rap here and I have used PB and Zenfolio for years with excellent results.

2) where the OP uploads anywhere from 5 to 100 pictures of various different things and then wants constructive comments. My constructive comment is 'upload one ot two of the best.'

3) where the op uploads 10-15 pictures, usually of children or truly boring landscapes, and again, wants some critique. Often the images differ from each other less than the DNA of identical twins. For answer, see #2.

4) where the op says here are x number of shots SOC. My internal response is usually 'put them back in, they aren't done.' Look, buddy, go as far as you can with one or two and post them. Then everything you here will be new and useful.

5) where the op posts any number of tiny pictures and then wants critique. Too small, too unclear, post larger. This site's size limit (800) is stupid enough without compounding the problem.

5) where people just beat the crap out of pictures in PPing, often adding a vignette so dark it looks like the room was on fire - and then claims it's their style. AFAIC this is a style like drinking Harvery Wallbangers until you puke. It's disgusting, it doesn't make any sense and I won't go near either one.

6) where the OP has been unpleasant, aggressive or rude in the past to me or other members I like. If they were drowning in a sea of flaming gasoline, maybe then I'd help, but maybe.

Where I am happy to participate and say anything useful I can is the opposite of all the above.
The OP puts up a reasonably sized picture or two, states their question or concern and is friendly and courteous - it doesn't hurt if they actually show some talent and a smidgen of skill.

Although I may violate #6 if the AIQ (A* In Question) posts a picture that so egregiously violates the bounds of any taste that it would be the utmost fun to say something.

"After we've beamed down to the planet's surface, we'll split into small squads, and make sure our phasers are set to 'Stun', Cap'n. Aye, Cap'n, I've got a bad feelin' in me stomach 'at this mission shall be fruitless..."

oreally.jpg

This never fails to make me laugh.

@piggles - As Bitter mentioned, stick around. You have less than 30 days experience on TPF.

I was planning on sticking around for a while. I know I just got here but I like jumping right into the action ha.

Guys - seriously - its Monday and you're at it again with the griping?
I know you all just got back to work, but can we at least try to make it to Wednesday ;)

Now lets all go watch cats being cute on youtube and forget all about the griping

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back