Planning a Shoot

falcontertomt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you are struck with a photo shoot idea, how do you prep for the actual shoot? What steps do you take, story-boarding, setup etc to prep, so when your model(s) arrive, you can get down to shooting?

It really depends on the type of shoot. If it's a concept/art piece, I would start by drafting a rough outline and then meeting with the mold(s) MUA, etc to discuss the plan and get input. Once you have an overall plan then move on to planning your individual shots, lighting, etc.

I work in film and television and when I do photoshoots with actors it is critical that I keep in mind that their time is very expensive. I generate an accurate shot list that includes a predetermined lighting plot for each setup (including levels etc....) and I send hair, makeup and wardrobe a schedule and a shot list that includes all the information that they need to know. I don't do story boards, but I often print reference material and make an "inspiration board" that gives models (in my case, actors) a solid idea of what I need in terms of poses and expressions. If I have several people to shoot, I hire a coordinator to organize and send all pertinent information to all people, and then wrangle the actors for me on set, which frees me up to concentrate on the photography instead of the coordination effort. When shooting with multiple models, planning is everything... you need to be in a position where you can have them sent in for their session, shoot them out, and move on... with no decision making or problem solving going on at all... it should all be very fluid and very well organized.... and when it is, the results of that effort are reflected in the quality of the photos themselves.

When you are struck with a photo shoot idea, how do you prep for the actual shoot? What steps do you take, story-boarding, setup etc to prep, so when your model(s) arrive, you can get down to shooting?

It would help if you could stop being so general about your questions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back