Planning a trip to Hawaii... Building my cam bag up...

KooKoo102

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife and I decided we want to take vacation to Hawaii around mid September timeframe. I figure that would give me plenty of time to get all the overtime in for some extra goodies.

Right now in my camera bag I have:
N D610
N 24-70 f2.8
Sigma 50mm f1.4
Sigma 120-400 V.A.
N sb-910
CF tripod
MacBook Pro retina
16gb x2 SD cards
Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything...

So I was wondering what stuff you would all recommend I get to get the most out of the trip, from a photography standpoint?

Right now I am going to start researching:
77mm Neutral density / variable ND filter
77mm CPL
32gb or 64gb x 2 Sd cards
A battery pack for charging my phone while being out all day (10k mah minimum)
And another usb 3.0 HDD to backup everything.

I am debating on getting another lens. Only issue I have is available space in my camera bag. Was thinking to get a macro lens. I miss having one in my kit. For the size, I'm looking at the Nikon 105mm macro. And for the price I'm looking at the sigma 150mm... But it's a tad bigger then I think I can fit.

Please let me know what you think. I know I have plenty of time... But it goes fast.
Thank you.

Not sure why my post got moved. It for general camera equipment, not nikon specific.

Really depends a LOT on what you plan to shoot. A macro lens might be nice, if that's something you want anyway--if not, maybe just some decent extension tubes.
A wider-angle lens than the 24-70mm might also be nice, for some of those beautiful Hawaiian sunsets/sunrises/beach scenes, especially if you decide to pick up the VND filter.

Other than lenses:
IF it was me, I would NOT get 32gb or 64gb cards. I'd stick with the 16gb, but I'd pick up a couple of Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. I really did not believe how much difference it would make until I actually got one to replace my Ultra sd cards. 16gb is the biggest card I use, because even in a place like that, I doubt I'd fill up two of them in a day's time, and then at the end of the day, I just transfer what's on the card to an external drive--if you're taking your Macbook, that won't be a problem to do. That way, the most you can ever LOSE at a time is 16gb. I like to have at least 4 cards--use two one day, the other two the next. That way, IF there is a day that I don't get a chance to transfer things to the hard drive, I'm still ready to shoot the next day.

How many batteries do you already have for the D610? What about a battery grip?
Also, maybe a rain-sleeve cover, for when you're on the beach, to help keep saltwater spray from getting on your equipment.

I am debating on getting another lens. Only issue I have is available space in my camera bag. Was thinking to get a macro lens. I miss having one in my kit. For the size, I'm looking at the Nikon 105mm macro. And for the price I'm looking at the sigma 150mm... But it's a tad bigger then I think I can fit.

Thank you.

Item #1. A Bigger camera bag. :lmao:

Well, I do want a macro in general... but im not 100% stuck on that being the next lens I purchase. Any wide angle lenses you could direct me to? I know I could just get the 14-24 f2.8, but its a little more then im looking to spend ($2k)... possibly. And from what I remember, due to not haveing a filter thread on it... a ND/CPL setup on that lens is really expensive.
Would my 24-70 not be sufficient to get good landscape shots? To me @24 mm, its quite wide. Wide angle is new to me. I figured there would be some times where a good macro would come in handy, and I would have some reach past my 24-70 that is bright.

My main reason for looking to get 2x 32gb is bacuse I would have My D610 setup to do a backup on the second card, so I would only have 32 gb to use, not 64 gb. I dont want to risk the RARE chance of losing anything (never know) I did foget to mention, I have 4 batteries. I think i should be ok there. I do not own a grip, was thinking about it.. but I feel it would make the body a bit bulky for my usage.
I like the idea of a sleeve cover... ill start looking into that. I am looking to get some pics of the waterfalls, so that would be helpful.

I do have another bag, But it is quite large. The bag I am planning to bring is the Incase DSLR pro pack: DSLR Pro Camera Backpack by Incase I really like its size and quality. And because of the size, I would have no problem with it being my carry on. The other bag, too large to be carry on (almost certain), quality is poor, and.... I just dont really like it :)

Not everyone will agree but leave the laptop at home. You're on vacation. And good call upping the memory, 32gb for a trip would be cutting tight with the D610. I would probably swap the room for the 50mm for an UWA and would suggest looking at the Tokina 16-28 for a budget minded entry and then to the Nikons.

Not sure how you carry your camera but a Black Rapid type of shoulder strap is much easier to hike with than the standard strap.

I have been to HI twice now, once to Oahu in October and then Maui in September and can tell you it is a beautiful time of year to visit. Good to excellent weather. Passed the busy season. Minimal rain on both visits. Maui is where I first used a DSLR and fell in love.

Not everyone will agree but leave the laptop at home. You're on vacation. And good call upping the memory, 32gb for a trip would be cutting tight with the D610. I would probably swap the room for the 50mm for an UWA and would suggest looking at the Tokina 16-28 for a budget minded entry and then to the Nikons. Not sure how you carry your camera but a Black Rapid type of shoulder strap is much easier to hike with than the standard strap. I have been to HI twice now, once to Oahu in October and then Maui in September and can tell you it is a beautiful time of year to visit. Good to excellent weather. Passed the busy season. Minimal rain on both visits. Maui is where I first used a DSLR and fell in love.

Normally I would agree on leaving the laptop at home... But it's not to do work or anything like that. It's there for "just in case" situations. And also to backup al my pics and videos I take. Looking to be there for 2 weeks... So I'm sure I will be taking PLENTY of pics.
I have done some re-evaluating on my lens situation. I am working the next 2 weeks straight and will do the same around the beginning of July. That way I can get a couple lenses and some other goodies. I do like the idea of a wide angle lens. Currently I'm looking at the nikon 16-35 f4 VR. Since it will be for landscape mostly, I'm ok with f4... And it has a 77mm thread on it so I can toss on a CPL. Can't to do that with the 14-24 (cheaply that is)
I don't want to take out my 50mm 1.4 because I'm sure I will want to take some pics of my son and wife often. So I have ordered the sigma 50mm Art lens to replace my current 50mm. It's back ordered of course... I'm sure I'll get it before September.
I was going to sell my 120-400 sigma and get the new version of the nikon 80-400... But it's $2700. I'm not sure if I can mentally do that right now.
So I'm researching some macro lenses. I'm leaning towards the nikon 105mm. A little expensive. But I'm sure it will be worth it. The main thing to point me that way is the size. Nice and compact ( compared to the sigma 150/180mm)

I'm actually not using any neck strap. And I like the Black Rapid straps. I will def get one. Thank you for the recommendation.
My wife and I are super excited... But the wait is killing us :)

On some other notes...
Anyone have any experience with any of the "underwater" cameras by Panasonic or nikon? I was thinking of getting one, but not sure if they are really all that good at being waterproof. The way I see it is, if we are planning to go to the beach to go in the water... No point in brining the DSLR setup. I can spend about $250 for a cam to go in the water with and not worry about a thing... Or so that's my vision. I'm not expecting great pics out of it, but I'm sure it will do a fine job.
Also, anyone have any recommendations for some GOOD lens filters? (Uv for water spray, CPL, ND, and VND)
I don't use uv filters... And don't like using them, but I want to get 2 so I can have protection from water spray. I have started doing some research on variable ND filters, and I'm not sure if I want to get one. Are there any that keep the image sharp? Or should I go with one set stop ND filter?
Thank you.

I'm currently looking at these 2 for using wile we go swimming. Anyone ever use either of these 2, or one like them?

Attachments

• $image-4180410432.jpg
    $image-4180410432.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 219
What island/islands? I've been to Oahu, Maui, Molokai & Lanai. Loved 'em all, but have Maui as my favorite.
They're all very photogenic!!!

Personally, I never carry a camera bag anymore on vacation--I just "wear" all my gear. Also, I think you're taking too much heavy glass (we do a lot of hiking when we go to Hawaii, so YMMV). I chose the 16-35mm for my last trip to Kauai since it's the widest zoom which still takes a screw-in filter. The Nikon 70-300mm ED-IF is very lightweight with good reach, plus it also has VR (refurbs can be had for only $349). I brought the 50mm f/1.4G because it's so small and light (I only used it for some available-light shots at the hotel). As for the macro, I would opt for the much lighter AF-S 60mm Micro-Nikkor instead.

I took my Nikon D800E out everyday with only the following two lenses (the 50mm f/1.4G stayed in the hotel):

• AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4.0G VR [1.5 lbs.]
• AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR [1.64 lbs.]

Total day-trip lens weight: 3.14 lbs.

I wore the D800E on a long Op-Tech strap (not a fan of BR-style straps), slung bandolier-style, with the 16-35mm mounted 95% of the time. The 70-300mm I kept in a ThinkTank Skin50 lens pouch on a Lindcraft 1.5" nylon grip belt. I also kept a Nikon microfiber cloth attached to the camera, and a bottle of lens fluid and tissue in the Skin50. A Hoodman-style 3x loupe was around my neck, and a WhiBal gray card on a lanyard was attached to a lightweight CamelBak hydration backpack. I also had a 3.5 lb. carbon-fiber/ball-head tripod strapped to the backpack with 'S' hooks. I also brought a Leki carbon-fiber walking stick.

For near-water shooting, I bought an Ewa-Marine housing for my D800E, the U-B100 with a 95mm port (which just barely fits the 16-35mm's FOV). Again, I think essential for any outside shooting is a Hoodman-type 3x loupe for checking exposure on your LCD in bright sunlight--don't forget to order/pick one up before your trip!

green2.jpg

AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR

Last edited:
I agree, your taking way too much gear for "vacation".

On the other hand, after my last trip, I've come more to the point of view of now taking everything I think might want, and simply leaving whatever I don't actually end up using in the hotel room. In other words, just lighten your trip for the day. I really hate the feeling of wishing I had brought a particular piece of gear, but didn't. Next time, I may take more gear, but pare it down to the minimum for a particular outing (especially hikes).

When I go full-frame, I plan to get Nikon's 16-35 f4 lens. Wide, sharp, and has VR. I'd have that and the 24-70, maybe the 50 if I could fit it, and that's about it. Who needs crazy amounts of gear on your vacation?!

Jake

If you're cruising the islands on one ship, you can leave all your camera equipment in your cabin except what you take for day tours. So lots of equipment won't matter too much. However, if you're "schlepping" from island to island by plane, too much equipment gets to be a pain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back