Playing Catch Up

bentcountershaft

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been a Canon shooter for ten years. I've often thought of going to the dark side. Here's my gear at the moment:

Canon T1i
24-70 L (mark 1)
70-200 L 2.8 IS (mark 1)
85 1.8
Nifty Fifty
18-55 kit lens

I've been saying for at least 6 or 7 years that I'm going to sell the 70-200. If I'm going to be replacing my body anyway (which I'm obviously woefully overdue) it isn't much of a jump to just sell all and start over. The only problem is that I won't be able to immediately replace everything I have with a Nikon equivalent.

If I were to switch I'd likely go crop body, 7200/7500 maybe. I never use my 70-200 so I wouldn't need to necessarily replace it. But I couldn't afford to get a Nikon 24-70 right off. That would take a while to save up for. Are the non VC Tamron 17-50s good enough for modern sensors? I know they used to be great, but things have changed a lot since then. I also remember Sigman having a nice DX 30mm prime, has it held up well? And more importantly am I going to hate using third party lenses after I've used primarily L lenses for so long?

I've been out of the hobby for a few years now and I'm trying to play catch up on all the new stuff.

Can I suggest something you didn't really ask?

Your 24-70 is a very narrow starting point on a t1i. The 70-200 is quite long on this camera also.

If you bought a second hand 6d you'd really get the benefits of your rather good lenses, the 24-70 would give you wider options, the 70-200 would not be quite so long. The image quality and resolution would take a noticeable jump, just a suggestion

I won't get into the brand debate but will pose a couple of questions that may help you make your decision.
Each person has unique requirements from a camera/lens combination. Everyone has their own bias or preference and because of this all answers could have these biases and preferences sway answers given.
If you honestly answer the below questions without the "But I want or but I like" you should be able to come to the best upgrade path for you.

What about your current gear is it that is not performing up to your standard or holding you back?
What benefits are you looking for in the next purchase, megapixels, low light performance, image quality etc?
What is your budget?
What are two/three options that can achieve this goal?
The final step is to get hands on (if you can) with the options and see which one feel/performs the best while checking off the most NEEDS for the least cash.

Hope this helps and good luck with the upgrade.

A used Canon 5D-iii or a used Canon 6D...either would be an upgrade,and either would truly "leverage" your current 24-70 and 70-200. The 85/1.8 would become what it was "really" meant to be..a medium-short tele, not a 127mm bastardized hunk of glass. The newer 6D II looks good as well. The 50mm would be useful too,

I've been weighing costs versus how much I'll actually use it, and what I'll use it for. Like I said I've been out of the game for a while and keeping that in mind I'm kind of hesitant to spend a big chunk on something if I get bored with it three months from now.

So, I'm actually leaning toward a used 5d2. I can get them cheap enough and for what I like to shoot it will be a significant upgrade. That way I can get a new perspective on the lenses I have and see if I want to keep them or not. If I really like it and see myself shooting more and more seriously I can get something newer then. If not, I've got a two camera set up that is more than adequate for my occasional needs.

Good choice.
The 5D2 although not being the most modern camera does have a better sensor and more features. It should serve you well.
The only lens in your collection that would not be useable on it would be the kit lens as it is and EFS lens and the 5D2 is an EF mount.

WHY are you considering switching from Canon to Nikon?

Even though I am a Nikon shooter, since you have a decent Canon lens kit, I recommend you stay Canon.
  • Changing systems is always expensive.
  • Since your expensive lenses are EF lenses, you have the option to go FF with the EF Canons, or stay crop/APS-C with the EF-S Canons.
  • The Canon equivalent to the D7200/7500 is the T7i or 77D. But upgrading to a higher end EF-S camera is also an option.
  • Personally, I like having TWO control dials, as on the 77D. Not one dial, as on the T7i, where you have to hold down a button and turn the dial, to get the function of the 2nd dial. The two dials makes it easier for me to quickly make changes.
Thought: WHY have you never used your 70-200?
  • Is it heavy? If so, take a look at the 70-200 f/4 L lenses. I shoot the Nikon 70-200/4, because it is HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens. And that weight reduction makes a BIG difference, to me, when shooting 4-5 hours of high school field games.
  • Is the 70-200 focal range a miss-match for the crop camera? What focal range would be a better choice for YOU; what and how you shoot? Do you do birding and need a LONGER reach, like a 100-400 or 150-600?

I've regretted not going to Nikon since very early on. I used to really want to do concert photography and the Nikons were and are still so much better at that due to better low light abilities with iso and with focusing systems. So I've said if I ever get the opportunity I would do it. This seemed as close a time as any, so that's what brought me here. But when I really starting thinking about what I like to shoot now, those reasons for switching were much less convincing.

As far as the non use of the 70-200 it's probably because I never got comfortable with it. My keeper rate with it was abysmal. Mostly due to technique, but also because it just isn't that sharp. At least not when mated to my T1i. The variances in the qc range apparently don't mate those two up very well. Unlike my 24-70 which mates up beautifully with it. I've gotten some really nice shots with that lens on that camera, so I can only hope whatever 5d2 I find does as well. So when I get a new camera I'll see how the 70-200 does and go from there.

A longer heavier lens requires a different hand hold technique than a smaller lighter lens.
Test for IQ on a STEADY rest, to eliminate your handholding as a variable.
Here's hoping that the 70-200 and your new camera work out well.

Most reactions

Back