Playing in the garden

bellaPictures

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bellapictures.com.au
Just a few pics of my daughter (again) playing outside. im just testing to see what its like to take photos on a bright sunny day. The sun is right over the top of us and its very bright.

Any critiques and advice are very welcome.

thanks

Bella042.jpg

Bella050.jpg

Bella039.jpg

I like the composition, but I think they would be helped by some fill flash.

bellaPictures said:
Is fill flash mainly used for direct sunlight?

Yes. You want to reduce the contrast between the parts of the image lit by the sun and the parts of the image in shadow.

The simplest way is to use a reflector. I like pieces of white foam core board; $3 at your local arts supply store. Position the reflector, or have some hold it, so that the sunlight reflects back into the shadow areas of the face. Shoot just like for natural lighting.

With a flash you want to light the shadow area with the flash, but not so much as to look unatural. It's usually nice to still have some shadow. The general starting point for color photography fill flash is usually -1 stop. If you are using a camera in auto-mode with a flash exposure compensation feature it may be as easy as dialing in -1 stop to the flash, and forcing the flash. If you are running on manual you figure out what f/stop you need to get -1 stop fill flash, and then set the exposure for the background with the shutter speed. Once you see what you get at -1 fill, you can adjust it up or down from there, play with the background exposure, etc..., and see what you like.

thanks so much, now i have to invest in some reflectors, but when you take photos like this, its abit hard to have someone hold the reflector when the child is always running around.

thanks for the advice

i know what you mean about it being hard to get the reflector in the right spot and shoot quick enough, before the child moves. i use one of those foil/silver car windscreen covers (used to kep the sun out of cars and reduce the heat). i brought mine for $8 at kmart. I find it much easyer to control, because it isn't to large and i can hold it with one hand, and shoot using my tripod with the other. If that makes sence.

It does take a bit of coordination to get the hang of it though.
this is a photo i took of my son with the reflector. this was taken inside though. he was positioned next to a window, so he had some fairly strong shadows on the opposite side. the reflector added a bit of light to it.

kobygrin.jpg

gorgeous shots BTW. what a cutie

Could someone please tell me how to edit my pictures in photoshop to make the face brighter, I have no idea how to do this...thanks so much...all images OTE!

Thanks in advance

Most reactions

New Topics

Back