What's new

Playing with black & white- C&C welcome

DennyCrane

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
1,375
Reaction score
34
Location
The arctic North Coast
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first I tried for a dustbowl/great depression/Oh Brother Where Art Thou mood
Barn.jpg


And the second, I was looking for a grainy 1960s newspaper feel.
IMG_0827.jpg
 
I really like the first one. Nice shot! However, the second is just cold.
 
I really like what you're telling in the second one, I think the B+W is great for it; punk kid with backwards bucc's hat meets old religious fanatic. great capture!
 
I like the feel of #1, but I think that a browner rather than yellower tone would have given a better feel (personal preference there). You've got a good sense of place going, there is clearly the feeling of abandonment and decay as well. There is a lot of potential here for many more images too.

#2 has power, I think. The feeling in the face of the religious man is important, and you've got him fairly well here. These sorts of images rely on the emotion presented in the faces of the people, and I get a sense of disdain for the kid in the hat from the older man with the sign.

- Randy
 
#2 would be much better if it really did have the grain that was common with the 1960s newspapers.
 
Thanks for the feedback. And because I love happy endings, Walkin' Sign Dude was much happier a little later.

MeetGodII.jpg
 
Yep, both versions send very, very different message (to me). That's why facial expressions are so important in this type of photograph. Nice work.

- Randy
 
Good job on #1, you achieved the effect you were looking for.

As far as #2 and a "1960s newspaper" feel, I think you missed that... Nothing about that photo says old, or newspaper photo to me. It tells a story and is not a bad photo in and of itself, just doesn't have that look you were trying to get.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom