Please C&C.....First Beginner's Pix...

starstudit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so i signed up on here a while ago but had to step away for a bit, now I'm back ready to learn as much about photography as I possibly can. I posted two pix I recently took, please c & c. All comments good and bad would be greatly appreciated, that's the only way this noob will learn.:mrgreen:
3Muskateerz.jpg

3Muskateerz3.jpg

are there any other suggestions?

I love the compisition and exposure on the first one. I am a beginner myself, but I was always told to make sure the focus is sharp on the eyes, and in this shot they are a little soft.

This is a cute idea, but there are a few problems going on here.

I'm just guessing from the light I see that you should have been around 800ISO at 125 shutter. Your Ap should have been at around 4. The reason I can say this with some certainty is that the "plane" of the faces seems to be off, and that's probably because you were using too shallow of a DOF. The ISO was also too low, and that is what is producing the noise. The shutter was to slow, and shows a "drag".

Just another example that it's super important to learn to shoot on manual for the best picks.

The white balance is on the way orange side. You can fix this if you shot RAW or JPEG teamed with the latest Lightroom.

Super cute kids, but I would a reshoot if possible, on manual.

Aww, really cute girls, love the girl on the left's eyes.
I'd suggest getting a tripod.
Judging by the wall, the main light is coming from the left or aimed there, you might want to try looking up some light setups online, I really don't know enough to make recommendations.
But that's during shooting, maybe play around with the curves and brightness levels and see what you can get. :)
*also the wall on the right is way too blue!

Last edited:
What should the shutter speed have been set to? Do I focus on the eyes or the entire thing

What should the shutter speed have been set to? Do I focus on the eyes or the entire thing

You were shooting at 50mm so 1/125 would have been better, your first shot was 1/60 and you need to allow for your crop factor of 1.5 which means you were shooting at 35mm equivalent of 75mm, to get a sharp shot for a newb you need to have a shutter speed at or above your focal length 1/80+

On this photo it is more about the AP. See how the further the faces go back in the frame, the more they are out of focus? This was because of a too shallow DOF.
Shooting on a shallow DOF is fine, but you will have to line all the faces up. No one in front, no one in back.
The shutter would depend on the ISO you set, and the AP you set. They are all linked.

You were shooting at 50mm so 1/125 would have been better, your first shot was 1/60 and you need to allow for your crop factor of 1.5 which means you were shooting at 35mm equivalent of 75mm, to get a sharp shot for a newb you need to have a shutter speed at or above your focal length 1/80+

Well maybe. We don't know her AP. The crop factor has nothing to do with anything. It's all about the link between APs and ISOs and shutter.
But yes, her shutter, would have had to be around 80 or so, with a 50.

Aww, really cute girls, love the girl on the left's eyes.
I'd suggest getting a tripod.

Thanks, the one on the left is my daughter.. I have a tripod, i guess i should try using it, I had just assumed I was going to be able to avoid the camera shake, guess not, lol

Well maybe. We don't know her AP. The crop factor has nothing to do with anything. It's all about the link between APs and ISOs and shutter.

To be honest I don't remember what I had set the AP to. So is the shutter ALWAYS suppose to be higher than the focal length of the lens?

First shot was F2.5 and all in line so they should all be in focus, no exif for second shot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back