please cc

damele

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
new to the photog world and could use all the cc i can get

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Not bad pictures.

I appreciate the background of the boats to give me some perspective, but the boats are the focus I wonder if you took the pic verticaly and didn't cut off the top parts, if it *might* work better.

Is that fill flash on the pews? Or window light?
I wonder if this would be better either dead center down the isle, or taken from up against the wall. What you have now looks indecisive.

I like both pics.

I agree with Bitter Jeweler that the composition could be better in both. If the water was like glass & you could see the boat reflections, I wouldn't mind cutting off the top. However, the reflection doesn't add much to the picture, so I would have framed it with the top of the mast (is that the right word?) in the pic. Also, either include more of dock in the bottom right - or exclude it all together. Right now it doesn't add much - maybe a little depth. But, it needs something more.

As mentioned above, the top of the polls on the boats are cut off. I think a different time of day may have helped also, early morning, late evening...

As far as number two goes, I like the shot but I think it could have benefitted from a wider angle, 20mm or less. Other than that, the lighting does appear to be a tad uneven, but that is fixable in photoshop. Just my two cents, mileage may vary...

thanks for your cc!! these shots are rooc. i do see what you are saying about the composition thanks!

To answer the question about the filler flash. No flash was used that would be the sun light entering through the door behind me.

When posting up images, try and put a space between them and number each, as it makes it easier for others to see and comment on. I know you only have 2 so numbering seems redundant, but getting in the habit now will be good for when you are posting 5-6.

1- I don't like the composition at all. the main boat is smack in the middle of the picture. While things centered can sometimes work, generally they don't. Definatly read the links posted by Samanax. Rule of thirds, angles, curves, shapes, symetry... all things to look for that this picture lacks.

Fill the frame with your subject or play with angles and DOF so that whatever you do enhances and draws attention to your main image.

2- I don't like the angle this is at, nor the BW conversion nor the sharpness of the image.

- angle - when shooting things like this, get in the middle! You are often looking for lines that draw the eye to a certain point and a picture like this, with benches on either side, the lights above and such can all be perfectly balanced in an image to lead the viewers eye to the cross at the back.

- BW - looks like a lack of contrast in the image... its too grey, middle of the road.

- focus - nothing is really in focus. Might be due to the BW conversion, but what aperture did you shoot at? use a smaller one. Was there camera shake? use a tripod

Thanks for the info guys and gals the link posted here have been a HUGE help I look forward to seeing what is said about my next photo's !!

The boat picture would work better for me if the top of the masts were included.

The second shot could benefit from a lower point of view and sharper detail.

Other than that, you're off to a great start!

Most reactions

Back