What's new

TK Lum-Mask

TJMcG123 6

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 16, 2022
Messages
427
Reaction score
822
Location
Show Low, Arizona, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know where I first saw this, it may have been here, but if you are not familiar with it, this is a great little plugin for Photoshop. I don't know if it will work in Lightroom since I don't use Lightroom, or in Affinity since I haven't tried that. It is available on the Creative Cloud desktop app, is free, and while incredibly easy to use, it creates luminosity masks that work very well for targeted tonal, color, and luminosity changes. I've started using this on almost every image I edit.
 
Interesting, I'll install and try it out. I've always used custom recorded actions to create luminosity masks when needed in the past.
 
@TJMcG I installed TK, haven't had a chance to really try it out, but initial observations look good.
 
@TJMcG I installed TK, haven't had a chance to really try it out, but initial observations look good.
I just like it a lot, since it automatically creates the mask, and provides you with a curve or hue-sat adjustment layer for the targeted area, which of course can then be edited to taste by just painting on the mask.
 
@TJMcG had the time to play with it yesterday. It works very similar to "color range - highlights, midtone, shadows" using fuzzy slider. Just automates the steps to load a layer with mask. I have some custom Actions created that also work similar. Whether better than what I was already using is debatable but definitely quicker/easier. I found this on use which might be helpful to some.
 
@TJMcG had the time to play with it yesterday. It works very similar to "color range - highlights, midtone, shadows" using fuzzy slider. Just automates the steps to load a layer with mask. I have some custom Actions created that also work similar. Whether better than what I was already using is debatable but definitely quicker/easier. I found this on use which might be helpful to some.

I never did a whole lot with actions, mostly because those I found useful always tended to disappear with upgrades. For instance, I have replaced Orton effect actions a dozen times, and then there is an update, and it's gone again. I always used channels to create my luminosity masks, but this is just so fast and easy, and still editable, that I like it.
 
@TJMcG I've had some things disappear occasionally with updates, that's why I export any i dont want to lose as .atn backups and reload them after the update.

Photoshops greatest strength is the ability to accomplish something in so many different ways. Choosing the best for your specific image is the biggest problem. My workflow is Lr>Ps>Lr utilizing the tools/strength of each. The Luminosity mask in Lr is far superior in my opinion, here's another video on it.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom