Please critic my soon to be set-up.

shoe1998

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first and only DSLR camera is a Olympus E-300 which i am looking to sell. I have basic experience and im planning on expanding my knowledge on digital photography. Please feel free to check out a few of my pics in my Olympus for sale thread, click here.

My new set up will consist of...

- Canon 350D body
- Canon EF 17-40 f/4
- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
- Canon 430ex flash
- Canon RC-5 wireless remote
- Canon BG-E3 battery grip
- and this is a 50/50, a cheap 50mm f/1.8 prime or a slightly more expensive 50mm f/2.5 macro.

- or -

a slightly less expensive setup...

- Canon 350D body
- Canon EF 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
- Canon EF 70-200 f/4
- Canon 430ex flash
- Canon RC-5 wireless remote
- Canon BG-E3 battery grip
- and this is a 50/50, a cheap 50mm f/1.8 prime or a slightly more expensive 50mm f/2.5 macro.

I already have a Slik U8000 which i plan to use for a while but maybe upgrade down the road.

The 70-200mm, 430ex, and BG-E3 grip will be a a few months later after everything else when i save up a few more bucks.

I plan on doing more landscape shots like the ones in my for sale thread and i plan on getting into portraits and possibly a wedding or two for friends. Im not a pro but just like every other noob here i would like to get professional results with the least amount of money.

Please let me know what i can do differently, maybe save a few bucks wont hurt, and any suggestions.

Thanks!

Both are good set ups. I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Its awesome.
I also have a 50mm f/1.8 - a real bargain at less than $70
I have read that the Canon 70-200 f/4 is quite good (I will be getting the 70-200f/2.8 )
Reviews say that the Sigma 70/200 f/2.8 is good lens.

Don't forget about the 1.6x focal length modifier on the 350D(and most all of the Canon dSLR's) - that fixed focal length 50mm lens is not going to be a "normal" lens on your digital camera.

It'll be normal, just 80mm

Your second setup will not be good for landscape shots. The problem is the wide angle lens and the focus multiplier. 24mm becomes 38mm which is effectively useless for many landscapes unless you have a panoramic tripod head and a bucket load of patience for making panoramas.

Also with the battery grip have a look if it is really worth it. I have one for my camera but I bought it because my hands are huge and I could not comfortably hold the camera when using a heavy lens. If you are into landscapes the money would probably be better spent on a good sturdy tripod. If batteries are the only problem you can always carry a spare set.

For portraits you will appreciate the 50mm f/1.8 more than the f/2.5 macro, but then macro photography is fun so it depends what you like more. You could also just go the 50mm f/1.8 and buy an extension tube for it to turn it into a macro lens. Or if you are not quite that serious about macro a set of closeup filters. A set ranging from +1 to +4 dioptre would make a nice addition to a budget macro setup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back