I'm going to weigh in on pet photos for a second here, which I probably have no business doing since I totally do
not understand the culture or tendencies in the area.
That being said, I'm a big time pet guy and I love taking pictures of the little monsters, so this may not be totally off...
Note that I am not commenting specifically on
your photo here... I am just trying to corrupt you with my evil thought process before you get into the trade in the hopes of maybe thinning the population of what I believe to be some rather tacky pet photographers.
I think pet pictures should be about the character of the
pet... not some odd personification of the animal, or embodiment of what the owner thinks is the personfication of the animal. The pet should be doing what the pet loves to do- bounding through the woods, cuddled up to the fire, basking in the sun, whatever... not wearing a feather boa and gigantic pink sunglasses.
Don't get me wrong... creativity in this stuff is great... just not cheese. To date KPugh's "
The Dogfather" is still one of my absolute favorite "slightly out there" pet photo sets. It's creative, it's cute, it's endearing, it's devoid of cheese. It's admittedly a
little over the top, but the dog is being the dog... he's not wearing the feather boa and clogs.
I think pet photography should follow the same rules as any other photography. Good composition, lighting, careful consideration of scene, etc. should be a big part of the process. Messy furniture, dirty stained rugs, crap strewn about the living room, etc. do not help make a nice image. Just don't go the opposite extreme and plop them up on a big cheetah print pillow with flaming orange tassels and a mirror ball hanging from the ceiling.
I dunno.
In the end, you're probably screwed no matter what you think because I think a lot of people who would hire a photographer to shoot their animals is going to have some of these tendencies, but damnit... I think you should try anyway.

I have to believe there is a higher-end market for this service. Might be all in where and how you market.
Either way, good luck with it.