Please Help A Complete Noob Buy His First Grown Up Camera...

SteyrAUG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, it's time for me to buy a camera that isn't 49.95.

I'm currently using a Canon Powershot A560. It's been satisfying my basic needs of taking decent pictures of stuff for selling on ebay and photos of anything that isn't moving and can hold still a second.

The image quality is perfectly acceptable for my non professional needs but two things are unacceptable:

1. Shutter lag - I hope I'm using the correct term. Basically I press the button to take a picture...wait...and usually miss the action.

2. As the memory card becomes more than 50% full the above shutter lag problem becomes progressively worse.

One of my interests is martial arts and I really want a camera that can capture the "shot." Back in 1981 I had a Kodak 110 Instamatic and it could capture the shot. If I could get that kind of consistent shutter speed (again I'm hoping I'm using terms correctly) where pictures are taken the same moment I press the button with image quality at least as good as my Canon A560 my basic wants and needs will be satisfied.

Simply put I have no business buying a $1000 Nikon nor do I have a $1000 in my budget. I simply don't have enough naked chicks wanting to pose for me to justify such things.

I've been trying to do some research on my own and it seems like I need a digital SLR camera. Again I need to be able to capture a "shot" assuming I do the point and click part properly, I just need a camera that will do it's part.

What I don't want to do is spend way more money than I had to because there was something perfectly suitable, and probably better quality, than what I find on my own. I also don't want to get something that won't do the job and end up paying 3/4s of the price of a camera that would do the job.

Here's the two I found on my own:
[h=1]Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Black) (2012 Model) $329.00[/h][h=1]Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black) $416.00[/h]The Canon is a SLR the Sony is not, the Sony is advertised as SLR-like whatever that is.

If the Sony will do the job for $100 less than the Canon then that works for me. Personally I'd love to get away with a $200 camera if it exists.

Again, I'm not a professional so I won't be getting extra lenses or anything like that. I just want to be able to take clean and clear pictures that are at least the same quality as my current Canon A560 but without the delay between pressing the button and taking the picture.

Any help is appreciated because I am in way over my head trying to understand everything involved.

Sony alpha 37 and kit lens. Fast for the price and opens up the dslr world of lenses also

You really need to decide what you want, do you want a DSLR ?
Do you want a Point and shoot ?
What is the maximum amount of money you are willing to put into this ?
I think you need to do your own research and make up your own mind, this is a lot of money to spend without even knowing what you really want and where you are heading.
DSLR is a big camera compared to a P&S, and add to that few lenses and potentially a flash and you are looking at a whole bag you need to "schlep" on you.
P&S will do all you need with one lens and modern P&S will do a very nice job for most avarage users and some will even be very close to DSLR.

My own preference as I have both a DSLR and a P&S

If you want a good but not expensive DSLR get either the Nikon D3200 or the Nikon D5100.
Fantastic entry level cameras, with the basic 18-55mm lenses you can get very nice pictures.
If you want to go the P&S path then I recomend the Canon G15 this camera will be slightly cheaper then the DSLR cameras I recomended and it is a fantastic device that will give good images and has basicaly same features as a DSLR.

I can't speak for later models, however I do have a Sony DSC-H9 bridge camera that is several years old. It is one of the so-called "SLR-Like" cameras although that is a complete misnomer. They are more commonly referred to as "Bridge Cameras" since they tend to bridge the gap between point-and-shoot cameras and SLR's. Anyway, my point is that the shutter lag on it is horrible. Press the shutter release and wait a couple of seconds for the shutter to eventually cycle. SLR's do NOT behave that way. Press the shutter release halfway to focus, and when you are ready for the shot press it the rest of the way. There is no shutter lag at all.

That said, depending on how the camera is set up (specifically what noise reduction and other post-processing options are enabled) there can be some delay AFTER the shutter cycles. In most cases there is not but in some cases there is.

Hi SteyrAUG - you might find this quote from imaging resource's HX200V review interesting:

...the HX200V is not a particularly fast camera to use. We averaged 2.2 seconds to start up the camera and get to first shot in our lab testing, and that time carried over, approximately, to my real world shooting experience. That's not bad when you consider the HX200V has to unfurl its long zoom lens before you can start taking pictures, but it's not fun if you're in a hurry. We measured the HX200V's shutter lag at about half a second when shooting at the lens' widest angle and about a tenth of a second faster when shooting at telephoto. Again those aren't necessarily bad speed ratings, but those who have shot with a digital SLR or fast pocket camera might find the HX200V a step too slow...

The fastest of the point and shoots, according to this table from cameras.co.uk is the $177 Fuji Finepix F770EXR at 0.15 seconds for a single shot.

As jaomul says, the A37 is pretty much the fastest entry-level DSL you can buy at 0.109 seconds for a full AF shot - but at $490 new from Amazon, $469 new from BigValue via eBay, $449 new from Adorama, and $427 used from Amazon Warehouse Deals - it may be above your price point.

That said, the T3 is not much slower, however, at 0.190 seconds for full AF with auto selection of the focus point. This camera is only $409 new from The Camera Box via eBay.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm just a hair above a complete noob...only a microscopic hair.

Anyhow, I have owned a Sony Cyber shot for years and love it! But I think the keywords is action sports. My son an I was in Martial Arts for a while and the Sony Cyber shot just didn't cut it. The pictures all turn out blurred and the lag time caused me to miss shots. So I just stuck to videoing events.

My best newbie advice is to pick up a Cannon or Nikon DSLR. You don't have to trade in your car for one either. These people can help more with prices/models but you can pick up a decent starter DSLR for around $450. I personally went with a refurbished Nikon D3100. These cameras run about $650~ new but I picked a referbed one for $350. It comes with a 18-55mm VR Lens which from reading reviews actually works really well. The DSLR as someone pointed out above, it opens you up to way more lens options in the future!

PS: I'll trade my DSLR for your Styer AUG ;)

Last edited:
You could a consider second hand/re-conditioned DSLR, not a lot of money and it will address your shutter lag issues.

I think you need to do your own research and make up your own mind, this is a lot of money to spend without even knowing what you really want and where you are heading.
DSLR is a big camera compared to a P&S, and add to that few lenses and potentially a flash and you are looking at a whole bag you need to "schlep" on you.
P&S will do all you need with one lens and modern P&S will do a very nice job for most avarage users and some will even be very close to DSLR.

If you want a good but not expensive DSLR get either the Nikon D3200 or the Nikon D5100.
Fantastic entry level cameras, with the basic 18-55mm lenses you can get very nice pictures.
If you want to go the P&S path then I recomend the Canon G15 this camera will be slightly cheaper then the DSLR cameras I recomended and it is a fantastic device that will give good images and has basicaly same features as a DSLR.

It doesn't sound like there is a "point and shoot" that addresses my lag time issue. Sure it would be nice to have a pocket camera but if it isn't fast enough to get the "shot" I need to get then it isn't what I'm looking for. I have reconciled that I may have to get a "camera bag" camera. I'm just looking for a quality "entry level" one that is affordable. Sounds very much like I need a DSLR.

Hi SteyrAUG - you might find this quote from imaging resource's HX200V review interesting:

...the HX200V is not a particularly fast camera to use. We averaged 2.2 seconds to start up the camera and get to first shot in our lab testing, and that time carried over, approximately, to my real world shooting experience. That's not bad when you consider the HX200V has to unfurl its long zoom lens before you can start taking pictures, but it's not fun if you're in a hurry. We measured the HX200V's shutter lag at about half a second when shooting at the lens' widest angle and about a tenth of a second faster when shooting at telephoto. Again those aren't necessarily bad speed ratings, but those who have shot with a digital SLR or fast pocket camera might find the HX200V a step too slow...

The fastest of the point and shoots, according to this table from cameras.co.uk is the $177 Fuji Finepix F770EXR at 0.15 seconds for a single shot.

As jaomul says, the A37 is pretty much the fastest entry-level DSL you can buy at 0.109 seconds for a full AF shot - but at $490 new from Amazon, $469 new from BigValue via eBay, $449 new from Adorama, and $427 used from Amazon Warehouse Deals - it may be above your price point.

That said, the T3 is not much slower, however, at 0.190 seconds for full AF with auto selection of the focus point. This camera is only $409 new from The Camera Box via eBay.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

That helps a LOT and eliminates the Sony.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon has the Nikon D3100 for $446.00 so I'm leaning towards that. More than I want to spend but I want to do it right the first time and it seems like the best bet for the money.

It doesn't sound like there is a "point and shoot" that addresses my lag time issue. Sure it would be nice to have a pocket camera but if it isn't fast enough to get the "shot" I need to get then it isn't what I'm looking for. I have reconciled that I may have to get a "camera bag" camera. I'm just looking for a quality "entry level" one that is affordable. Sounds very much like I need a DSLR.

My old Canon G10 was very slow to react, from the moment I pressed the botton to the time a picture would come out was always too slow but I am glad to tell you the G15 is a completly different camera.
Its low light cpabilities are very impressive (even though not as good as my D7000) and its lag time is very short.
From the moment you press the button to the moment a picture comes out is very fast.
Its also has a very fast lens so overall this camera is a very good package for those who dont want to get into the DSLR and still get great pictures in all type of photography.
Go to a camera shop and ask to try it and see yourself how fast it really is.

My old Canon G10 was very slow to react, from the moment I pressed the botton to the time a picture would come out was always too slow but I am glad to tell you the G15 is a completly different camera.
Its low light cpabilities are very impressive (even though not as good as my D7000) and its lag time is very short.
From the moment you press the button to the moment a picture comes out is very fast.
Its also has a very fast lens so overall this camera is a very good package for those who dont want to get into the DSLR and still get great pictures in all type of photography.
Go to a camera shop and ask to try it and see yourself how fast it really is.

Ya know, I've gotten so used to the internet it never occurred to me to go to a camera shop and try a few out. I think I'll do that.

Ya know, I've gotten so used to the internet it never occurred to me to go to a camera shop and try a few out. I think I'll do that.
Please do that and let us know what you found.

Enjoy and good luck.

Please do that and let us know what you found.

Enjoy and good luck.

Sadly what I've found is camera stores are nearly extinct in my zip code. Google searches showed me Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc. and they are generally places that don't offer the kind of customer service where you can take one out of the box and try it out.

Sadly what I've found is camera stores are nearly extinct in my zip code. Google searches showed me Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc. and they are generally places that don't offer the kind of customer service where you can take one out of the box and try it out.
Well I guess you are back to square one.

Ask yourself this question

1.How serious of a photographer you think you are or aspiring to be

Will a P&S be enough ?
Don't you think DSLR is what you want/need ?

Stop looking at everyone for an answer, you are the only one that can answer this question.

You want to be more of a photographer then you are now ?
You want to shoot more then just nice pictures ?
You want to be creative?

DSLR is your way.
All modern DSLR are good cameras and here your pocket will play a role.
But you will need to invest time in learning how to work the camera, leaving it just on auto pretty much means you use it as a P&S and that's pointless.

If you are happy with your current level and don't aspire for more and just want a fast camera then get a P&S.
The G15 is a good choice for such a camera but not the only one, you have Nikon P7700, Sony RX100 and more.

The Canon G15 goes for 415$ these days and its a great little camera but you are the only one that can decide what route you gonna take.
If you decide what you want let up know how much money exactly you want to invest and you will get options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back