Please Help A Complete Noob Buy His First Grown Up Camera...

Sadly what I've found is camera stores are nearly extinct in my zip code. Google searches showed me Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc. and they are generally places that don't offer the kind of customer service where you can take one out of the box and try it out.

Au contrare! Best Buy already has them out of the box, ready to grasp, aim, and fiddle with. In fact, I bought my deal at Best Buy because I found a good deal.

Yes, the local camera store closed years ago, so the closest one now is about 45 miles away, but the Best Buy is right in town, with extended hours, a great credit plan, and fair, though not expert, sales help.

Not like an actual camera store, but unless you want to spend the whole day just going to one shop, you can at least get a personal introduction at the big yellow and blue box store.

Sadly what I've found is camera stores are nearly extinct in my zip code. Google searches showed me Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc. and they are generally places that don't offer the kind of customer service where you can take one out of the box and try it out.
Well I guess you are back to square one.

Ask yourself this question

1.How serious of a photographer you think you are or aspiring to be

Will a P&S be enough ?
Don't you think DSLR is what you want/need ?

Stop looking at everyone for an answer, you are the only one that can answer this question.

You want to be more of a photographer then you are now ?
You want to shoot more then just nice pictures ?
You want to be creative?

DSLR is your way.
All modern DSLR are good cameras and here your pocket will play a role.
But you will need to invest time in learning how to work the camera, leaving it just on auto pretty much means you use it as a P&S and that's pointless.

If you are happy with your current level and don't aspire for more and just want a fast camera then get a P&S.
The G15 is a good choice for such a camera but not the only one, you have Nikon P7700, Sony RX100 and more.

The Canon G15 goes for 415$ these days and its a great little camera but you are the only one that can decide what route you gonna take.
If you decide what you want let up know how much money exactly you want to invest and you will get options.

First thanks for taking the time.

I don't know that I will ever be what I would call a "photographer" but the option is nice.

I'm not seeking that answer from anyone, but I do need to know what is what regarding equipment.

Right now I'm pretty set on the Nikon D310. Is there any reason NOT to buy that one and go with one of the others you listed?

And I probably will leave it on auto until I get a feel for all the bells and whistles and then start to experiment. I wouldn't mind having "more camera" than I need especially if it's quality and in the same price ballpark as a point and shoot.

Au contrare! Best Buy already has them out of the box, ready to grasp, aim, and fiddle with. In fact, I bought my deal at Best Buy because I found a good deal.

Yes, the local camera store closed years ago, so the closest one now is about 45 miles away, but the Best Buy is right in town, with extended hours, a great credit plan, and fair, though not expert, sales help.

Not like an actual camera store, but unless you want to spend the whole day just going to one shop, you can at least get a personal introduction at the big yellow and blue box store.

Good to know. I'll check them out this weekend.

Thank you very much.

Will a P&S be enough ?

Stop looking at everyone for an answer, you are the only one that can answer this question.

You want to be creative?

DSLR is your way.
But you will need to invest time in learning how to work the camera, leaving it just on auto pretty much means you use it as a P&S and that's pointless.

If you are happy with your current level and don't aspire for more and just want a fast camera then get a P&S.
The G15 is a good choice for such a camera but not the only one, you have Nikon P7700, Sony RX100 and more.

The Canon G15 goes for 415$ these days and its a great little camera but you are the only one that can decide what route you gonna take.
If you decide what you want let up know how much money exactly you want to invest and you will get options.

I don't know that I will ever be what I would call a "photographer" but the option is nice.

I'm not seeking that answer from anyone, but I do need to know what is what regarding equipment.

Right now I'm pretty set on the Nikon D310. Is there any reason NOT to buy that one and go with one of the others you listed?

And I probably will leave it on auto until I get a feel for all the bells and whistles and then start to experiment. I wouldn't mind having "more camera" than I need especially if it's quality and in the same price ballpark as a point and shoot.
First in regards to learning how to use a DSLR to its full potential.
On youtube you got nice people who took the time to share their knowledge of the basics of camera which are

1.ISO
2.Shutter Speed
3.Apature

And then from there they teach you much more.
Each lesson is only few minutes long and I found them to be very easy to understand and if you don't get it the first place you simply watch the clip again, if you want I will be happy to share the clips I found to be the best.

I think you mean Nikon D3100.
The D3100 is still sold all over and for very good prices.
It has been replaced but the D3200.
If you set your heart for a DSLR and money really is tight then the D3100 will do the job nicely but if you can squeeze a weeee bit more I would say try to get the D5100 which goes for 520$ with basic lens and is a big step up from the D3100 and I think is well worth the small price difference, its low light capabilities are much better which means when you take better a pictures when its dark or if you want to take a picture in a sporting event and need to bump up the ISO to keep the shutter speed high then the D5100 will simply be a big advantage.
Again if you can afford the D5100 then go for that but if you cant then the D3100 will be also a good capable camera.
Once you will get a DSLR with a basic kit lens you will see you will need more lenses for portrait, for longer zoom ranges and so much more.
Photography is a very fun and addictive hobby that sadly cost money :(

As "goodguy" has written, the D3100 has been superseded by the D3200, so one VERY GOOD reason to get that particular camera is that it SHOULD be discounted at most retailers.

If not, then follow his advice to go with the D5100.

Will a P&S be enough ?

You want to be creative?

DSLR is your way.

First in regards to learning how to use a DSLR to its full potential.
On youtube you got nice people who took the time to share their knowledge of the basics of camera which are

1.ISO
2.Shutter Speed
3.Apature

And then from there they teach you much more.
Each lesson is only few minutes long and I found them to be very easy to understand and if you don't get it the first place you simply watch the clip again, if you want I will be happy to share the clips I found to be the best.

I think you mean Nikon D3100.
The D3100 is still sold all over and for very good prices.
It has been replaced but the D3200.
If you set your heart for a DSLR and money really is tight then the D3100 will do the job nicely but if you can squeeze a weeee bit more I would say try to get the D5100 which goes for 520$ with basic lens and is a big step up from the D3100 and I think is well worth the small price difference, its low light capabilities are much better which means when you take better a pictures when its dark or if you want to take a picture in a sporting event and need to bump up the ISO to keep the shutter speed high then the D5100 will simply be a big advantage.
Again if you can afford the D5100 then go for that but if you cant then the D3100 will be also a good capable camera.
Once you will get a DSLR with a basic kit lens you will see you will need more lenses for portrait, for longer zoom ranges and so much more.
Photography is a very fun and addictive hobby that sadly cost money :(

Yes, I meant the D3100. Where are you finding the D5100 for $520.00? Amazon lists it for $596.00 which is about $150 more than the D3100. For $520 I'd be inclined to pay for the difference.

And I'm trying NOT to get anymore expensive hobbies. I have quite a few as it is. I collect firearms including registered machine guns and I dabble in pre Meiji Japanese swords. I have to be careful because pre Meiji Japanese swords can keep the big boys at Sony broke.

Not that collecting machine guns is cheap either.

I can see building up the camera thing over time, but I really don't want to get much beyond $500 for a starter setup. I really didn't want to get in over $300 but I know it can be better to get the right thing the first time and just pay once.

As "goodguy" has written, the D3100 has been superseded by the D3200, so one VERY GOOD reason to get that particular camera is that it SHOULD be discounted at most retailers.

Best price I've found on a D3100 is $446.95, D3200 is $546.95 and D5100 is $596.95.

If I can be shown where to buy a D5100 for $520.00 that's pretty much a done deal for me.

Best price I've found on a D3100 is $446.95, D3200 is $546.95 and D5100 is $596.95.

If I can be shown where to buy a D5100 for $520.00 that's pretty much a done deal for me.

Again I think the D5100 really is worth the 150$ extra, it really does but if you dont want to spend the extra 150$ then of course its your right and your money.
The D3200 is another better choice and if you can get that instead of the D3100 then get it!!!

Prices change all the times on these cameras, from my memory it was 529$ in Canada but now I see it went up.

Again I think the D5100 really is worth the 150$ extra, it really does but if you dont want to spend the extra 150$ then of course its your right and your money.
The D3200 is another better choice and if you can get that instead of the D3100 then get it!!!

Prices change all the times on these cameras, from my memory it was 529$ in Canada but now I see it went up.

Appreciate the advice. Is the a better place to look than Amazon for best price?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the D3100 and love it. If you choose to get it, you won't be disappointed but obviously it isn't the best one you can get. If you can, you should definitely get the D3200 instead.

Buying used from a reputable camera store like KEH might be an option. Usually their equipment is in even better condition than how they rate it. I've never had to return anything but I don't think returns are a problem, or a trade-in is an option too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back