please help! does anyone have tips for photographing a 1 year old?

hayleyfraser24

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
hayleyfraserphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So im going to practice this afternoon at my neighbours, she babysits a 1 year old...(I do have permission from the parents to do this) I tried this last week and I have no lighting equipment and I didnt want to use a flash, I tried to set up a kind of "make shift" studio with fluffy blankets and natural sunlight through the window...

The photos came out bad. They were out of focus, and grainy and I found it difficult as of course little Jamie was a great little poser and full of smiles but constantly moving around.

Im going to try different things this time.. im assuming I want a faster shutter speed to get better focus? and last time my aperture was set to f/5 as that was as wide as my lens will go to.. and exposure... should I have a more exposure as I have no studio lights?... and a low iso??

Im still trying to get to grips with all the technical stuff, I think I kind of know what it means but in no way do I know what is right or wrong, im dyslexic and find this bit hard..whearas the creative side comes very natuarlly to me!

Also, I heard you need a model consent form, do I need the parents permission to post the pictures on here for critique? do I just ask her if its ok, or should she sign something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Yes faster shutter speed = less light being let in.

f5 isn't very wide, that's probably why you're having trouble indoors. To shoot natural light indoors you usually need a lens that can open wider (unless you have lights or flash) You can crank your ISO up and see if you can get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur, but high ISO= noise. Can you get her outside for more light?

Yes faster shutter speed = less light being let in.

f5 isn't very wide, that's probably why you're having trouble indoors. To shoot natural light indoors you usually need a lens that can open wider (unless you have lights or flash) You can crank your ISO up and see if you can get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur, but high ISO= noise. Can you get her outside for more light?​

yea I can, its raining today but i think I will do this next time we have a sunny day! I need to invest in some equipment.. the pictures came out better this time but still nowhere near the quality im trying to achieve! Thankyou for the advice ive taken it all on board!

oh and one more thing if anyone can help? can i put the pictures up for critique without asking the parents? I never see the parents to ask them if this is ok as my neighbour drops the kids off.. I guess I could ask my neighbour to ask her for me but I wouldnt want to put her in that position... to me it seems like an uncomfortable question... like, "hey thanks for letting me take pictures of your baby.. can I put them online!"

I was going to be funny and tell you to try some Nyquil but I am sure a bunch of people would not find that funny...

If you have not yet, I would HIGHLY suggest going out and getting Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" Sit down with the book and your camera. As you read it pick up your camera and try to replicate what he does, what he is shooting etc etc. Obviously you won't be able to fly to France and shoot that particular fountain, but you can go out back of your house and turn your hose on and aim your nozzle into the air for a makeshift fountain to practice the motion blur and stop action.

You and I would make a good team. I have learned the technical stuff pretty easy but I do not have an artistic bone in my body. I have to really TRY HARD to get anything interesting in the viewfinder but most everything comes out perfectly exposed =) lol

Oh and the nice thing about home making your fountain is, you can MOVE IT! That is right. Put it in full shade on one side of the house. Shoot under lower light conditions to practice the exposure triangle. With less light you will need more aperture to stop the action. Back light it from the front yard, side light it next to the house. It is wonderful what you can do with a hose nozzle or sprinkler =) Especially if you can find the doughnut shaped sprinkler head.

oh and one more thing if anyone can help? can i put the pictures up for critique without asking the parents? I never see the parents to ask them if this is ok as my neighbour drops the kids off.. I guess I could ask my neighbour to ask her for me but I wouldnt want to put her in that position... to me it seems like an uncomfortable question... like, "hey thanks for letting me take pictures of your baby.. can I put them online!"
That would depend on the laws in Scotland.

Here in the US you would only need permission if the photos are used for a commercial purpose. But, that would be going by the legal definition of "a commercial purpose" which is not always the same as what most people would think it is.

The truth is that doing photography well with a DSLR requires having at least a basic technical understanding of how the camera and lens work, and how to use those tools to do photography.

Visit www.cambridgeincolor.com and read all the digital photography tutorials. Be sure a read your camera user's manual too, so you know what features and functions the camera has available for you to use. Things like metering modes and focus modes.

I am trying to learn the technical stuff and I have read alot but I just find it hard to understand what im reading... if that makes sense! Im not giving up, im looking at tudoriols all the time and ordering books but I do feel that I learn better by "doing".. so just taking photos of grass using different iso, white balance etc is helping.. im getting there slowly, anyway here are the pictures... these are not the best shots ive put on this forum and im almost embarassed but the point is to get constructive critism right?...here goes! and I know you guys dont hold back so fire away... I can take it!:)
the first photo is from last week and is no where near as sharp as it should be

Im not happy with the result, I think I need better lighting and better lenses.. and of course a better understanding but all in good time. I know not everyone likes sepia... but I do!

Last edited:
I know number 1 has too much light above jamies head and is not as sharp as it should be, probably to much vignetting also... and ive cut of the top of his head in alot of the pics.. that was not unporpose! check me giving critique on my own pics! lol, by the way what does "bump" mean? ive seen it on some other peoples threads??

Last edited:
You will never get sharp images shooting at 1/15 or 1/10 iso was only on 400 you wouldn't won't to go much higher with a Sony, so the only way to get good shots is with studio flash or speedlights

Most reactions

New Topics

Back