please help! does anyone have tips for photographing a 1 year old?

ermmm, thanks for your advice but im confused... again! Im not sure what you mean? iso was set to the lowest setting today at 100, after reading up, and some advice I recieved on here.. (unfortunatly after the shoot), ive learned that was a mistake and should have been on maybe 800 iso.. am I right? and it goes up to 3200 on my camera. I thought the higher iso the more noise but also more light? I have read this before I just have trouble putting it all together! I have a new plan of remembering things though.. an "idiot proof guide" just for me! I really appreciate all the comments, they allow me to take notes in a way that I can understand!.. please feel free to comment if im wrong, I know that a sony is not a nikon but they are breaking into the camera market just now and I got a good deal for a beginner!

With the exception of the last pic, shutter speeds are all way too slow. On the last pic it's close to the edge. I think you need to start paying more attention to your ss before you pull the trigger, and if it's too slow, turn up the ISO. High ISO noise performance isn't impressive on any entry level camera, but if you nail the exposure, it's not as terrible as it is if you under expose. Plus there's free noise reduction software that works well.

If you've already heard or read this, I apologize, but the rule of thumb for handheld shots is: shutter speed should be a minimum of 1/focal length. So at 50mm, you want at least 1/50 for ss. Faster is better if you can get it. This is to counteract blur from camera shake when you press the shutter button. Most of your ss's fall below the minimum, resulting in soft pics. I'd also suggest posting unedited originals. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's going on with a lot of effects heavy post processing.

"You and I would make a good team. I have learned the technical stuff pretty easy but I do not have an artistic bone in my body. I have to really TRY HARD to get anything interesting in the viewfinder but most everything comes out perfectly exposed =) lol "
I hope to make it that far! lol

oh and one more thing if anyone can help? can i put the pictures up for critique without asking the parents? I never see the parents to ask them if this is ok as my neighbour drops the kids off.. I guess I could ask my neighbour to ask her for me but I wouldnt want to put her in that position... to me it seems like an uncomfortable question... like, "hey thanks for letting me take pictures of your baby.. can I put them online!"

I am not sure what the laws are in Scotland, but in Canada, where I live, these children would be considered minors and you should probably have their parents permssion to both photograph them (I notice that you have this) and place them on the web. In some countries, unless it is a public figure, e.g., politician, film star, singer, etc., you cannot post a picture of anyone on the web without their permission, or that of their legal guardian. This permission is often obtained in the form of a "model release", even if they are not technically models, it is simply a signed consent form giving you the right to "publish" their images. You should note also that even though you hold the copyright to these images, this copyright does not technically give you the "right" to post their pictures on the web. You can find "model release" forms on the web by searching with Google. You might want engage a lawyer, or buy a half hour of his/her time to make sure you know what the laws/rules are in Scotland. and that any "consent form" you might develop is bullet-proof. (Afterthought - you might also look for a "portrait" release form. If such a thing exists, it is probably similar to a model release form.)

I know this sounds like I am overcomplicating things, and maybe I am, but put yourselves in the parent's shoes, suppose you opened up a web-site and saw, what were effectively unauthorized images of your small children taken by someone that you may or may not know...it doesn't even have to be the parents, it could be an acquaintance or a relative...e.g., Aunt Mary phones up one day and says, "Hayley...your nephew, Freddy, found pics of your new baby on the web...I didn't realize that was being done...you didn't tell me..." I know your images and intent are just nice "baby picture" type images, but there are just too many "perverts" out there who "troll" the web looking for pics of young kids. I for one, would not want someone else taking pictures of my kids, when they were much younger, and posting them on the web for the world to see, particularly without my knowing about it. Heck, I don't even like it when my wife posts pics of us and/or me doing something on her Facebook page. (and yes, I do tend to be a bit of a cynic about things like this...but that is just me)

Regardless, I think it is something you need to deal with and the sooner the better. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Last edited:
First off, do not do any post work on your shots with the exception of some sharpening. If you can't yet nail the pictures out of the camera, your post work will only hinder a true evaulation of the image.
To take indoor shots you will need additional lighting to keep the settings within reason. Shutter speed for kids should be at least 1/100 because they jerk/move unexpectantly, this will cause you to either raise iso (creating more noise) or open up you aperture (shorten dof). Adding light will reduce the hardship on your camera. Use of the on camera flash is not a sin.
You can also try using auto and writing down the settings when you take the shot, this will help some getting you to understand what the camera would do and you can build on that.
Keep at it, it will click. :thumbup:

ermmm, thanks for your advice but im confused... again! Im not sure what you mean? iso was set to the lowest setting today at 100, after reading up, and some advice I recieved on here.. (unfortunatly after the shoot), ive learned that was a mistake and should have been on maybe 800 iso.. am I right? and it goes up to 3200 on my camera. I thought the higher iso the more noise but also more light? I have read this before I just have trouble putting it all together! I have a new plan of remembering things though.. an "idiot proof guide" just for me! I really appreciate all the comments, they allow me to take notes in a way that I can understand!.. please feel free to comment if im wrong, I know that a sony is not a nikon but they are breaking into the camera market just now and I got a good deal for a beginner!

Your iso was at 400

Regardless, I think it is something you need to deal with and the sooner the better. HTH.

your absoloutly right, I should know better! Im going to delete the pics and hopefully in a few weeks ill have some better ones ... and confirmation that they are ok to post! Thanks for the tip!

I think I know myself that im guilty of "overdoing" the editing, maybe its because I studied art and Im looking at the editing tools like my paintbrush to try and achieve the vision in my head.. I totally realise this is the wrong thing to to and need to "focus" (lol) on the technical side of things, really appreciate the comments and advice, it helps alot.. and everyone has been very kind! im going to delete the pictures for now...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back