Please help! Got scammed...

BmDubb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I was suppose to be trading my JVC DVD Camcorder for a new Lens for my Nikon D80. I am in Ohio ( USA ), and the other guy lives in the United Kingdom. I agreed to ship first in the deal. So about 3 weeks ago, I shipped out my camcorder and accessories. The package was delivered 4 days later ( someone signed for it, and it was confirmed delivered. Anyways, the guy I was trading with has yet to be heard from and has not shipped out my lens. He sent me a message on another forum, ( thats how I met him ). He last logged on his forum account yesterday. Is there anything I can do legally? Or am I screwed since its overseas?

Will I have to fly to the UK personally and find him?

Sorry if this dont go here, I didnt know where else to put it.. Thanks so much

Sure did. That said, forget going to England, you'll spend more on the trip with no results (trust me, you won't find a person of the name you have at the address you have) than the cost of the lens.

Call your police dept and ask them. They'll probably tell it's no use because, frankly, this kind of stuff has to be very low priority for them...

Just take it as a learning experience.

well since it was recorded delivery
the post office should have a count of who signed

And out of curiosity, What address did you send it to? maybe members on here could help you if they live near that area.

I mind my aunt bought a Wii (she lives in leeds) and had to travel up here to scotland to find the person to take it off him.

Legally, There isn't much you can do as you have given him the product however, you had agreed on it on the basis that he send you a lens in return so idk...

but post up his address (or city if you dont want to be too public.)

I'm sorry but why in the world would you agree to ship someone who you don't know something without knowing for sure if you would get something in return or not?

Here's a tip for next time: have them ship the item via UPS (or a company that has tracking and can recall a package). You both send it out the same day, with the same estimated delivery time. You track the package and make sure the other person has not recalled it. If you see that the package was recalled, you recall yours.

Now, you can still get scammed since the person could be sending something else (like a rock of the same weight as the traded item) but there's a lesser chance of the person doing that. The thing is, once he has your item, what stops him from not sending you the other one? Remember that humans are tempted into sin very easily. ;)

I wouldn't do trading deals period, unless they're local and you can trade face to face. I'd just sell the item, then use the money to buy a used [w/e it is you want] on ebay/craigslist.

uh... screw that ups trading tracking strat... just don't do these trades w/ ppl u don't know... esp someone in another country... you coulda just sold your camcorder on ebay/craigslist then bought the lens u wanted on cl...

hopefully it wasn't too expensive of a lesson :p

Out of interest where i the uk did you send it ?

I work in LE and there isn't anything you can do. Even if you do have an address and someone did sign for it they (UK) do not honor our (US) legal process, so they will not tell you who signed for it. Even if you could get a local agency to issue a subpoena for the info they won't honor it anyway. It more then likely went to some empty house that a guy was there to sign for or it went to some local UPS type shop where people can get private PO Boxes. People like this send out tens of thousands of emails a day and if only one percent of the people bite they are still making off with some good stuff. Live and learn.

you should post the adress...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back