Please help, I need a Brit recipe...

It's not that I'm afraid, but every time I watch a show like travels in europe, they always end up showing the more interesting foods of a culture. Lutefisk is a good example (haggis too) I guess it's not the food that makes me queasy (bubble and squeak ain't bad, i finally found a recipe and tried it. English puddings are pretty darn good too. The names just don't see too attractive. As I said before, head cheese fits into that catagory as well. Whenever I see the stuff at the deli, I wonder, is it jellied smegma, boiled pig's head, or what? But hey, it tastes good, whatever it is. Spam is in there too. I mean, it sounds like something you'd use to repair dry wall, but it is quite yummy. Potted meat product is yet another name that makes little sense. Why is it meat product and not just meat? Should meat spread like that, or wiggle? Braunschweiger is a bit like that too. It's basically German pate', but I gladly buy it and spread it freely on crackers. Who knows what's in it (i know it has liver) but I still like it.

O.K, so I seemed paranoid about the names of english food, but I realize that my favorites are just as strange and even repulsive. My sister was over the other day while I was eating lunch (oyster chowder, eggplant dip, crackers, bleu cheese, and spicy ginger beer) after she turned green and back, she said somethin' like "You sure have a cast iron stomach there."

So to all you Brits and fellow stinky cheese lovers, have some good eats. We've all got our own stinky, jellied, and aged meat and dairy products that we can't do without.

Traditional food - which is actually very good (mostly) but has fallen into disuse.
Poor people's food - for a long time a large section of British society couldn't afford much* in the way of ingredients so had to be inventive. So you get meals like Scouse and blind Scouse (just like scouse but without the meat), Yorkshire pudding/toad in the hole (cheap and filling. And Yorkshires were traditionally served with gravy before the main course to fill you up) and left-over recipes like bubble and squeak (mashed potato and cooked cabbage fried in bacon fat).
There are many others but i'm sure you get the picture.

forget what i said earlier...
i realized i've got plenty of the same myself.

Braunschweiger- liver, pig odds and ends, spices, yummy and oh so spreadable

Head cheese- what happens when you've slaughtered a pig and need to use everything up. The head is boiled until all the tasty bits have fallen off. Ya mix it with spices and let it congeal.

Cabbage- any way you can make it, i'll eat it. bacon, mashed potatoes, i'm easy

vienna sausages- don't know what the hell they're made of, but they're good

Lutefisk- fish putrified in lye

Since ya peaked my interest, Hertz, I might just go ahead and make some scotch eggs. Sorry I sounded like some xenophebe

And you thought they made that stuff up.
We have Were-Bunnies here too :mrgreen:
lol
and dracula stalks the countryside along with his other Hammer pals..

Have you ever noticed that Christopher Lee hasn't seemed to age that much since the late fifties....

But he has been coffin a lot...

(smacks self in the forehead while laughing)

Have you ever realized that Barbara Steele hasn't aged much either? (o.k. so i have no clue if you know who steele is. If not go and rent Black Sunday (1960 mario bava film) and check her out. Then watch the Dark Shadows revival mini series just for comparison's sake.)

in another vein... have you seen that this is now on the market?

If the old boy doesn't, the taxes will suck ya dry.

Most reactions

Back