Please help me pick out a gift for my photographer wife

Ignorant Husband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for my question. Apologies in advance if it is not.

My wife is a photographer in the grey area between avid hobbyist and beginning professional. She uses digital equipment as well as photoshop.
I want to get her a book for our wedding anniversary. It could be instructional, "pictures", or perhaps even fiction. I'd like it to be something that came out recently so there's less chance she has it. $40-$60 is my target price.

Can you recommend a title or two?

Thanks,

Ignorant Husband

What type of camera/equipment does she have? Is she intrested in any certain types of photography?

I am not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for my question. Apologies in advance if it is not.

My wife is a photographer in the grey area between avid hobbyist and beginning professional. She uses digital equipment as well as photoshop.
I want to get her a book for our wedding anniversary. It could be instructional, "pictures", or perhaps even fiction. I'd like it to be something that came out recently so there's less chance she has it. $40-$60 is my target price.

Thanks,

Ignorant Husband

Joe? Is that you???
If so I'd really like a new lens instead of a book.
Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 ED-IR VR Micro please!
hahaha!

Joe? Is that you???
If so I'd really like a new lens instead of a book.
Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 ED-IR VR Micro please!
hahaha!

:lmao:

Sorry, no Joe here. And no new lens in my wife's immediate future, unless you all can recommend a great one in the $40-$60 range... :sexywink:

Her camera is a Canon EOS 5D. Can't tell you the lenses, but I think there's a "rotation" of 3 or 4 of them.

As for type of photography, I suspect she'll veer more towards nature and portraiture (sp?) and away from action.

Thanks,

Ignorant (and broke) Husband

It's very hard to recommend books, because so much depends on level of experience and taste. For example, I might say "Understanding Exposure," but if she's an advanced amateur she probably won't get too much out of it. But maybe someone else has better ideas.

But can I maybe throw out another idea? How about printing and framing your favorite picture that she's taken, and including a note telling her why you think it's so beautiful? That would probably run $40-60 at the most, and could mean quite a bit to her -- knowing that someone loves a picture you've taken is a great high for a photographer (or any artist). Like I said, just an idea.

Ha ha love your member name :lmao:

It's very hard to recommend books, because so much depends on level of experience and taste. For example, I might say "Understanding Exposure," but if she's an advanced amateur she probably won't get too much out of it. But maybe someone else has better ideas.

But can I maybe throw out another idea? How about printing and framing your favorite picture that she's taken, and including a note telling her why you think it's so beautiful? That would probably run $40-60 at the most, and could mean quite a bit to her -- knowing that someone loves a picture you've taken is a great high for a photographer (or any artist). Like I said, just an idea.

This is a really great suggestion if you can get access to her work to steal a file out for printing. Very personal and, unlike a book, something there's no chance of her already having or not needing (unless you're really oblivious to what she has on the walls).

Does Amazon have gift certificates?

Kinda cheesy imo :)
But it's quick and your wife can get whatever she wants with it.

Thanks,

Ignorant Husband
You might want to rethink that idea and consider the implication. Would you buy her a cookbook?

Retrospective by Galen Rowell. His landscape photography from over the years. He has been to both poles and summited Everest, Denali, K2, the Trango Towers, you pretty much name it. He was a columnist for OP and an avid mountaineer. He and his wife passed away six years ago and this is the best culimnation of his work I have seen yet. $40-$50. Coffee table big book. Check it out.

People in my family (and friends who inquire) have a standing order to get me photography books. Not instructional "How To" books, but coffee-table prints.

I agree with staying away from the 'level specfic' books - you will either flatter her into confusion or give her a book she can't appreciate. Just from personal experience, but I truly enjoy getting books about the history of photography or really inspiring work. Some examples are:

Out of the East - Steve McCurry (you will recognize him as he took the 'Afghan girl' picture)
In the Shadow of the Mountains - Steve McCurry

Theres nothing more I like personally than a big well presented book full of photo's, not so much a book about photography as a book full of inspirational photos.

Other ideas are to buy her a class at a photography workshop (these vary in skill level) or a subscription to a photography magazine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back