Please help with action shots!!!

sonia718

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone PLEASE help me! I have a canon rebel xsi. I'm just a beginner...but for the life of me I can't take a picture of my daughter jumping into the swimming pool. I have to sit back in the stands so I'm zoomed in a good ways & the lighting is poor inside. As long as everyone is still the action setting works well. I have no idea how to manually set the camers for this type of situation! Please help!

may be tough with the lighting situation that you describe. to stop an action shot like that you could try using the shutter priority setting ('S') and set the shutter speed to 1/500th as a good starting point. the aperature and iso will need to be adjusted but in shutter priority these will be adjusted by the camera to what it thinks the appropriate levels are. what you are saying with shutter priority is 'i need 1/500th of a second, you figure the rest out'.

if you could get a bit closer and not be so zoomed in you may get a bit better shot, when zoomed in a lot you increase the minimum aperature of the lens which means your camera may need to make the adjustment in iso to compensate which may begin to show grain.

try a few different positions around the pool and different zoom levels but leave it in shutter priority. try a few different speeds too. it depends on how fast your daughter is moving, but a good starting point for sports is 1/500th of a second.

I am not sure what camera you are shooting with, but mine is "Tv" for shutter mode. For very basics just go into the pool and see how fast you can put the shutter speed before it gets too dark. Also if you have the ability to shoot in RAW mode you can download a program for free that will lighten them up some. Also a flash will help with lighting and freezing the action.

Most reactions

Back