Please help with website....

DR_Malibu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking of buying my website through godaddy.com I already know what I want to name it....but I am not sure if that is the first step? I heard something about a domain and everything else....now if I have that website then what do I use to edit it? like to add a slide show of my photos and FB link or things like that but too where people cant copy and paste my pics....please help me out...

Thank you
;)

There are three basic things you'll need. A Domain name, web site hosting and an actual web site.

You can register your domain name at GoDaddy (or wherever) an you can purchase a hosting plan there as well (I assume). I'm using HostGator for my hosting and have no problem recommending them.

Then you'll need a website. Most hosting companies will have some basic free tools to help you build a website, there are also many programs (free or not) for building websites.
Hosting companies will likely also have templates (free or not) from which you could choose. There are also many website template companies to be found. Creative Motion Design is one of the sponsoring vendors to this site, so you might check them out. And of course, you could hire someone to design a custom website.

Unless you have some web design skill (or just really want to do it yourself), I think you'll end up with a better product if you get a template. You run the risk of not being original...but I really don't think that is too much of an issue.

You could probably get all three of those things from one company...but it's up to you. Don't be tricked into thinking that you have to buy your hosting from where you bought your domain name etc.

Once you have those three things in place, you are good to go. The nature of your website will determine how you change & edit it. Some are easy and some aren't. That is certainly something to consider when purchasing a web site. If you aren't an expert web designer, how easy will it be to upload, change, edit, add to your site.

Protecting your photos is a complicated issue. There are all sorts of different way to make it harder for people to just download your images...but the truth is that if they can see them on the screen, then can capture them. So image theft protection is really just a myth. You can make it harder, like putting them into a flash slideshow for example. You could also cover them with a 'watermark'....but that usually detracts from the image itself. I think one of the best things to do, is to just use smaller images when showing them on the web. 800x600 pixels will look fine on a monitor, but isn't good for printing anything bigger than a 4x6 or 5x7 etc. So while someone could steal it...it wouldn't be of much use to them. And really, there are trillions of images on the web...the chances of someone targeting your (or my) images is pretty slim.

You should also consider what you want your website to do. Is it just to show off your work, or is it to advertise your services? Do you want to include an on-line store where you are able to take orders and payment etc? Do you want to have client galleries so that your clients can come to your site to view their images?

I was mainly wanting to do it to show off my work and advertise. I found a website of a local photographer and love the page... www.jewelsphotographysite.com I like how she uses the J with a heart on her photos but it is apart of her name also. How did they create something like that? and I like how they have a blog to post pics and talk about it or write a sweet gesture about her experience with the session. Is godaddy.com a good website too get all three of the things you mentioned I need? Or is the one you went through better?

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the blog aspect. As I mentioned, it's not always easy to add or change the content of your website, so that is where the addition of a blog comes in. Blogs are ideal for adding content and keeping your website 'fresh'. Some add a blog right onto their website, but many others use one of the popular blog sites and just link back and forth with the site. There are pros & cons either way, so you might do some reading up on the subject before making your decision.

As for the logo....that is graphic design and is a whole different issue. It certainly is nice to have your own original logo or 'brand', especially if you are running a business, as you can use it in multiple ways to reinforce your brand.

You can obviously make something yourself, or you could have someone do it for you. A popular method is to find s graphic designer's forum website and create a competition. Basically, you start with the details of what you want and what you are willing to pay, then hopefully some of the members will create something for you. You choose the winner, work out the final product and then pay for your logo.

I don't know much about Godaddy. I've heard that they are a good place to buy/register your domain name...but I don't have experience with them. You might start a thread, asking what people use for hosting and what they would recommend. Although, few people will have first experience with several different ones...so they just recommend what they use. There is one of these threads every so often, you might be able to search out an old one.

I asked several friends and many of them recommended HostGator, so I just went with it. I was using a local company before that, but HostGator is much better.

Another thing to think about is SEO, search engine optimization.

Maybe not so important if you are just sharing your photos with people you know/meet. But good SEO is what makes your site show up higher in search results, and can thus have a huge affect on a business. Being on the first page of Google, for example, will likely get you a lot more customers than being on the 23rd page.

SEO is a weird science. There are people who really understand it...but Google is constantly changing the rules...so getting to the top and staying there are two different things.

If SEO is something you want for your site...it might be something to look for when purchasing a site. There are also many techniques and services that you can use...but like I said, it's s weird science.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back