Please read asap!! Is this a good camera??

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am contemplating buying a Canon EOS 20D from someone in great condition, $825. I will be doing mainly portrait photography. Is this a good camera to buy? What does the EOS mean? Im still trying to learn about cameras. Thanks guys.

The 20D is a great camera, I've got two of them.

EOS is what Canon calls all of it's autofocus SLR cameras (film & digital). It stands for something like Electro Optical System.

I'm not sure what the going rate for used 20D are...check Ebay or KEH.com

That price to me seems a little high. Depending on how many pictures were taken and what not. I've found one for 700 with only 6500 pictures. Personally im going to wait till they drop the 40D and wait for either a good deal on the 30D or prices to really fall on 20D's.

Prices for the 20D range from $650ish to $750 without the grip...and upwards of $850 with... for $800 nowadays it would need to be new in box with no shots on it...

Its a completely capable camera though and would work really good for you... depending on what portrait length you want to shoot from the 35/2 or the 50/1.8 - 50/1.4 are great lens choices...

Yup, EOS = Electro Optical System

and EF = Electro-Focus

Is there a lens included for that price?

Well what we are doing is a 18-55mm lens and the camera and all software and cables for $900. I can find anything cheaper than that around

i have some advice. go to your local camera shop and ask to see a sony alpha a100. i think they're around 900 with a kit lens now. in my oppinion its a way better camera than the 20d......and it has waay more features, and 2 more MP's.

im sure you could find something cheaper in better condition if not new. the digital rebels are very cheap right now. and if you arent going to take advantage of all the special functions offered in the 20d or 30d i would just go with a new xti. which comes with i think the same kit lens. and its more user friendly than the upper models.

i have some advice. go to your local camera shop and ask to see a sony alpha a100. i think they're around 900 with a kit lens now. in my oppinion its a way better camera than the 20d......and it has waay more features, and 2 more MP's.
Better, maybe, WAY better, I doubt it.

well, it isn't all about megapixels, and the 20D is getting into the pro level cameras.

Besides, it seems like Jamie is already set on the canon brand.

well, it isn't all about megapixels, and the 20D is getting into the pro level cameras.

Besides, it seems like Jamie is already set on the canon brand.

true that. its not about the megapixels. its about the sensor and the lens. have a 8 mega pixel camera with a crappy lens and judging by the focul distance of the lens its a small sensor. true its 8 megapixels but when you really get down to it my other camera with 4mp has better resolution because it has a better lens and sensor. the 5d's sensor is the size of a 35mm and the lower canons are all smaller i believe. if you cram too many pixels in a small sensor electrons start to pile up high and over flow at the high contrast area's. and where there should be a fine line between black and white you will see it gets a little fuzzy.

Thanks for everyones adivce. I went ahead and bought it. Wish me luck! Ill post pictures I take with it soon.

Most reactions

Back