Please suggest a list of vintage cameras I can collect? :)

I intend to buy 2 cameras continuously until I complete my 50 classic cameras.
For February I bought this Very good condition Nikon F3 with a 50mm pancake lens for 200$.

Now I have an F and an F3, It is imperative to buy an F2. :)
I am starting to look for Canon Cameras, funny I cant seem to find any that is in very good condition and a reasonable price.

Nikon F3 (1).jpg
Nikon F3 (4).jpg
Nikon F3 (5).jpg
Nikon F3 (3).jpg
Nikon F3 (6).jpg

Older F3 bodies can have problems with fading contrast on that tiny LCD display. It's a long-gone part together with its ribbon connector. Sexy as they are, any F3 can be 40+ years old, the youngest likely produced sometime in the early/mid-90s. Have two--early and late, with and without the HP finder--which only really work for me with an MD-4.

Here's a few cameras I purchased this year... A Nikon F2A, Konica Pearl II, Rolleiflex MX-EVS, Pentax ME-F, Nikon EL2 and a pre-WWII Kine Exakta.... Recently I got a Bronica EC with 3 lenses and a Pentax K2 DMD with motor drive.
IMG_20210312_183035.jpg
IMG_20210209_191012.jpg
IMG_20210114_151212.jpg
IMG_20201222_122700.jpg
IMG_20201224_153958.jpg
IMG_20201129_123903.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Given that I've run into electronics issues with cameras with 'modern' shutters, I've come to love the older mechanical cameras that don't need batteries or electronics to run the shutter. I've got:

Nikon original Photomic (the F)
Nikon F2 (I've got 2 of these)
Nikkormat FTN

And I would LOVE to add:
Olympus OM-1
Canon GIII QL rangefinder
Pentax K-1000
Yashica mat 124G TLR camera

I almost want a Nikon F3, but again, the electronics are vey old, and not really repairable, so probably not even tho this is a legendary camera.
UPDATE: reconsidered the Yashica, and got a Mamiya C220 (with 80mm f/2.8) instead. Very happy with it.

That French Pontiac, metal camera someone posted the other day looked awesome. I can't find the Thread at the moment to link it.

I find this to be an unusual question, and in my opinion, right or wrong, the short answer is "whatever the hell you want". I have over a 100 cameras that I use when teaching the history of photography and these include everything from the 1860s 8X10 to a Z7. I collect whatever I like and am interested in, regardless of how others feel about them. Hope this helps you to have the courage to pick what YOU want, regardless of what others feel is "important".

So I started collecting cameras years ago and I have found for me I want to collect a series of cameras. You said you had a Canon T70 well get the rest of them. Granted the T50 is a super basic camera but the T90 is not. There is 4 cameras in the T series. Also I find if you want to use the cameras it is best to stay with the same system. I buy only Canon and Minolta because I have lots of lenses for them. If I buy Nikon I know me I would have to dump tons of money into glass so I could use them. Exceptions would of course be cameras that don’t have removable lenses. I have all the T’s except the T60 and most of the Canon ’A’ series cameras. Next will be the ’F’ series. Not sure how or if I am going to collect EOS cameras. Also I have collected a few doubles and don’t think I will do that anymore. You can only shoot one at a time and for me the fun part of collecting is getting to know a new camera. When I get a double it’s just yep another AE-1 toss it in a box and never use it.

This is entirely subjective to either your likes or the spur of the moment. I started with the latter and collected over 800 cameras of different ages, formats, scopes and so on. I trimmed down to about 100 of them and now I collect the rarer variety or of historical importance. I obtained, not so long ago, a camera owned by a famous American lyricist that worked in conjunction with his composer brother (they gave us a lot of popular tunes), I own a few other cameras that were used during WWII, a Hasselblad belonging to a famous American avionics engineer and so on. So, whatever tickles your imagination, with a theme or not, go for it.

Most reactions

Back