Plexi glass??

stang96mj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone use this in their photos? I have seen a photo with the subjects image reflecting in it and I was told it was plexi glass. Any advice or imput?? Thanks

i tried it a few times, but don't like it; one barely has to look at it and it scatches.

It can also be helpful to protect a seamless paper backdrop, especially if you have to lay it over carpet...but as mentioned, it scratches pretty easily so you don't get a lot of use out of a sheet.

Many portrait photographers who use a white background for 'high key', use tile board instead of plexiglass.

Tile board is less expensive and not quite as reflective as plexiglass. Since tile board is white rather than clear it doesn't show scratches as readily as plexiglass does.

Tile board has fake tile on one side but the back is white. You get tile board at a home supply or hardware store.

Obviously, if you're using a colored background plexiglass is your only option.

...Tile board has fake tile on one side but the back is white. ...

More often than not the preferred version of tile board is the type used for "dry erase white boards" that doesn't have the fake tile with grout lines look.

This can work well when used with large subjects at a distance. Tile board has a slight texture and doesn't reflect as clear and sharp a mirror image as the much, much smoother acrylic (e.g. Plexiglass (tm),a cast acrylic, and others like Acrylite (tm) ) and polycarbonite (e.g. Lexan (tm) ) sheets do. If you are doing table top work or portraits with the reflecting surface close to the subject tile board is rarely yields a satisfactory reflection.

Most reactions

Back