Pls Help with Very Basic Continuous Lighting Kit

MartiMar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

My name is Martin. I am trying to improve my Ebay pictures, which are pretty bad. I have been trying to get by on natural light and my camera's flash which has naturally resulted in quite a few poor pictures. All I will be doing is taking still pictures of clothing on a mannequin. I am looking to upgrade my lighting so I can achieve better results. I'm looking at a very basic 2 or 3 light continuous lighting solution.

I'm struggling to pick a lighting kit. Essentially, I can't afford to buy really nice, or even decent equipment. The lighting kit will get setup once and probably remain in one place indefinitely. I don't think it has to be too robust, it just needs to improve my pictures in the short term. I am hoping to upgrade in the future, but need to get by for now. I am looking at the lower end kits, like Julius Studio, Cowboy Studio, Adorama Adorlite, and Britek - probably an umbrella setup. Is there any real difference between any of these brands at all?

I understand that I am looking at poor quality, imported goods. It's all I can budget for right now unfortunately. Is there any differentiation between setups like these?

Adorama Adorlite 3 Light Fluorescent Lighting Kit #ULS333 | eBay
JS Studio 33" White Photo Umbrella Light Studio Photography Lighting Kit JU166 (847263089829) | eBay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Again, I know I'm looking at junk. Is there any junk there that might be just a little less "junky"? :)

I would appreciate any help. If there's no real difference, I may just go with the cheapest and cross my fingers.

Thanks!

Martin

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Martin,

Your best bang for the buck would be the 2400W JULIUS STUDIO SOFTBOX LIGHTING LIGHT KIT W/ CARRY BAG JSK111.

Four bulbs per head compared to single bulbs in the other kits...

Cheers, Don

Thanks for the input! :)

I'll take a shot on that kit and hopefully the stuff gets me over the hump in the short term.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bouncing the light off an umbrella helps control blown highlights but you are going to have a lot of light spill with bare bulbs.

I would go with the softboxes for more control.

Cheers, Don

Thanks for the help Don. It was much appreciated!

Martin

Most reactions

Back