Pocket Wizards II used, what to look for?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm going to look at a pair of pocket wizard II's a guy has on ebay. I asked him if we can see them work with my Nikon and Nikon flash and he said sure, I'll need to pick a PC to hotshoe adapter. Thats not a big deal I'm confident my local cam store has them as they sell pocket wizards, but is there anything specific you can advise me on?

He was asking $300 and I offered $240 providing I can see them work.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, I was going to watch them flash, never even thought to pay attention to the feet other than to note if something is obviously busted.

Are you getting the adapter, to put a flash onto? Or because your camera doesn't have a PC port?

If it's for the flash, I'd recommend a mini-phone plug rather than a PC. FlashZebra.com: Female Hotshoe with Miniphone Jack (female) (Item #0128)

My point is that if you can avoid using any PC connections, do it. They are terrible.

Mike thanks,

Its for the flash (SB-600). My camera shop sold me a 3.5 mm to hotshoe, a 1 piece unit. They stung me on the $35, but I really needed one before I meet the gentleman later and its all they had compatible to my flash. I assume/hope my D7000 will accommodate the PWII, the guy is including that cable.

The PW will slide right onto the hotshoe of the camera. No cable needed on that end.

Now, if you want to put a flash on-camera, as well as trigger a remote flash, then you would need an adapter on-camera (or a PC to 3.5mm cord, if your camera has a PC socket on the side).

Thanks so much for all the help, I happily picked up those 2! Feet are solid, they actually both look new. Worked instantly as soon as he put them on the cam and flash. Big Mike as soon as I saw the product, his cable, and the cable I bought for the flash I new what was going on. Thanks for posting the info and helping me understand before I met him.

Thanks so much for all the help, I happily picked up those 2! Feet are solid, they actually both look new. Worked instantly as soon as he put them on the cam and flash. Big Mike as soon as I saw the product, his cable, and the cable I bought for the flash I new what was going on. Thanks for posting the info and helping me understand before I met him.

You can replace them for something like $5-$15 if they break.

Here's the link:
http://askthephotographer.com/2008/01/16/how-to-replace-a-pocketwizard-hot-shoe-mount/

Most reactions

Back