What's new

Point and shoot upgrade advice?

Muchi3

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
florida
Hi! Any advice for someone wanting to upgrade from a point and shoot? I would like to eventually work my way up to a dslr
 
Hi, I recently moved up from a point and shoot to a nikon d3100 (dslr), if you are looking at getting a dslr in the future you may as well get one now. But if you don't have the money to do that I would look at some bridge cameras as owning a dslr becomes expensive. I would highly recommend a nikon d3100 to you, have been loving mine!
 
I was actually thinking about doing that. Someone recommended the sony nex because u can interchange the lenses but it costs just as much as dslr. I just don't want a heavy camera because I love taking my camera everywhere.
 
If you intend on working your way up to a DSLR, I would just save a little and get an entry level DSLR rather than take the eventual "loss" of getting a bridge camera/P&S. Remember, any lens you purchase (even kit lens) will most likely be usable as you upgrade the camera body. Another option to consider would be a used DSLR. Most consumers are stuck in the technological rat race of getting the next best thing. This means the market is saturated with used previous years' models that have seen relatively little use.

Either way, an entry level or used (last year or two year old) model DSLR will go a lot farther in your experience than a P&S or bridge camera.
 
Check out the consumer line of dslr's like the canon xti or t3i (I don't know the nikon equivalent). They are not as large as you might think. But a bridge camera will be lighter and easier to use in auto mode. Heck, there are some really nice P&S cameras available now so don't count that out. But in my opinion, a dslr is for someone who wants to learn photography and is willing to put time and effort into it. That includes carrying around a larger camera and larger lens(es, lights, filters, light mods, tripod, stands, batteries....). Simply having a dslr is not going to make your photos any better than your P&S.
 
I don't consider mirror less cameras (NEX, Micro 43, Nikon J/V1, etc.) to be P&S cameras. THey have more in common with DSLRs... what they bring to the table is compact size for body and lens. They do cost as much as entry level DSLRs.

IMO, get last years model entry level camera of choice with a kit zoom. Start with that if you are on a tight budget. As you advance you'll know what else is needed. Let your experience drive your purchases not the other way around. Don't let the guy at the store (or here) talk you into "needing" this and that... resist the upsell in the beginning. (I should know... I was that guy doing the up selling :-P )


btw... with equipment purchase threads, often its nice to include your intentions (what type of photos you want to take) and your budget.
 
I've had several different p&s cameras and none of them satisfy my creativity or the crispness I want from a picture. I really want to learn and put time into photography.
 
I love taking photos of nature and anything that has vibrant colors. I want to be able to make ppl say wow when they see my photos. My budget is some what tight which is why I am trying to find different options that don't require me to drop a grand all at once
 
I've had several different p&s cameras and none of them satisfy my creativity or the crispness I want from a picture. I really want to learn and put time into photography.

All the more reason not to get another P&S which have tiny sensors (smaller than the NEX too)

If your budget is tight... start looking around for used; its safe to stick with Nikon or Canon moving forward. A few years ago, I was able to find at a online pawn shop a Pentax DSLR + kit lens for $150 USD. If you look hard enough, I believe there is a DSLR option for everyone in every budget without resorting to a P&S.
 
From my knowledge I thought that buying a used dslr was dangerous because u don't know if the person that had it before took it to get the proper servicing.
 
Its a personal preference but..... consider this...

* Consumer DSLRs are treated as consumables... in general they don't see enough use to require servicing. I bet a big majority of the population get a new camera every 1-2 years maybe 3 max. A typical person doesn't shoot each and every day.. I doubt they are coming close to the cameras end of life by the time they trade up. NOTE: Consumer not Professional use cameras which see a lot more heavy daily use
* Like cars, electronics depreciate like a brick. I prefer to always be on the correct side of the depreciation equation (with few exceptions, I always buy used).
* Like the odometer on a car, most DSLRs have a counter that you can check to see how many frames have already been taken.
* How much use will the DSLR see before you decide yourself that you want an upgrade?
* I can buy 2-3 used bodies for the price of a new one (again depreciation). If it fails, so what? just go find another.
* Buying new always means you are getting the latest technology... whether or not it is worth it is up to you. I personally would rather spend the money on nicer lenses than a nicer camera body (within reason).

And this is the most important point. Would you be happier with a used DSLR or a P&S? Something says that you wouldn't be happy with a P&S. Buy a P&S now will just mean you are in the same boat now looking for ways to buy a budget DSLR in the near future.
 
I am so happy I found this forum all the advice is so helpful. I'm definitely going this weekend to every pawn shop in my area and seeing what I can find.
 
Of course! I would never make a purchase involving electronics before researching the product. especially if I'm buying it at a pawn shop
 
Muchi3 said:
Of course! I would never make a purchase involving electronics before researching the product. especially if I'm buying it at a pawn shop

You can always check amazon, bhphoto, keh and adorama. I think they all sell used and refurbished dslr.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom