point and shoot vrs phone

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I am curious. Since iphone cameras seem to frequently produce decent images which can even win photography competitions in magazines... The camera in the current iphone, how good is that compared to a point and shoot? What kind of money are we talking about?
The point is that I want a camera for around 150 dollars just to have with me at all times. I can't carry around my D7000. It is totally impractical. The camera on my 4-year-old 'entry level' smart phone Samsung is dreadful. So with technology improving would this kind of money get me something decent enough? Equivalent to the camera in an iphone or SamsungGalaxy S(I don't know much about phones!).

I would like fairly high megapixels. Not less than 12. I don't need a viewfinder though I'd like one. I can survive without manual mode but some control over aperture and shutter would be terrific. Don't care about controlling ISO or white balance. No need for good zoom. Something like 35-50mm equivalent is fine. Thoughts please :) I guess many people have this question.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would NOT bother putting money toward a point and shoot, put the money toward upgrading your 4 year old phone.

You also don't need high megapixels, quality mega pixels and other sensor features like phase detection focusing like the new iphone has are far more important.

150$ P&S, I wouldn't bother.
There are very small and very powerful cameras like the Canon S120 which will leave the cell phone camera in the dust in harder then "perfect" lighting condition but it will cost more then 150$

I have the Samsung Note 3 with its 13MP camera, its ok but nothing more then that.
If you want quality then you will need to pay for it

The new Sony Xperia Z2 phone has an f/2.0 lens and a compact camera-sized image sensor, and it 100% WATERPROOF.It is rated as one of the best cell phone cameras in the world. One of the TPF members here has one. I have seen some photos from it. It is a CAMERA, built into a cellphone. DxO Mark.com ranks smartphone performance on stills and video.

The NEW Sony Xperia Z3 has just been tested: Sony Xperia Z3 vs the competition - DxOMark

Yes, Cell phone camera is going to get better and better. Look at the recent announced Panasonic Android phone which feature a 1 inch 20Mpix sensor camera with a f/2.8 Leica lens

I've used Canon Power Shots and Elphs through the years with good success. Here are some samples of various models. You can check the Exifs.
Digital Color - an album on Flickr
Digital B/W - an album on Flickr There are a couple Galaxy S4 cell phone pictures in there too.

Here's one for around $130 with 20mb, 10x zoom, flash photos and movies. It's tiny,. will shoot better than any phone, and you can throw it in your purse or pocket and won't know it's there until you need it. Canon PowerShot ELPH 150 IS (IXUS 155): Digital Photography Review

Yes, Cell phone camera is going to get better and better. Look at the recent announced Panasonic Android phone which feature a 1 inch 20Mpix sensor camera with a f/2.8 Leica lens
REALLY ?

Wow, thats news for me, very impressive, I will do a little research into this, just might be my next cell phone.

REALLY ?

Wow, thats news for me, very impressive, I will do a little research into this, just might be my next cell phone.
Yup. Panasonic Lumix CM1.
It can shoot in Raw with manual control. Oh, and it also shoots 4k videos. And it can make phone calls, if you really want to.

Yup. Panasonic Lumix CM1.
It can shoot in Raw with manual control. Oh, and it also shoots 4k videos. And it can make phone calls, if you really want to.
מגניב
If it actually can even make calls then I am sure to get it LOL

Thanks (toda) Ido

Reactions: Ido
Hi everyone,

I am curious. Since iphone cameras seem to frequently produce decent images which can even win photography competitions in magazines... The camera in the current iphone, how good is that compared to a point and shoot? What kind of money are we talking about?
The point is that I want a camera for around 150 dollars just to have with me at all times. I can't carry around my <LINK>. It is totally impractical. The camera on my 4-year-old 'entry level' smart phone Samsung is dreadful. So with technology improving would this kind of money get me something decent enough? Equivalent to the camera in an iphone or <LINK>(I don't know much about phones!).

I would like fairly high megapixels. Not less than 12. I don't need a viewfinder though I'd like one. I can survive without manual mode but some control over aperture and shutter would be terrific. Don't care about controlling ISO or white balance. No need for good zoom. Something like 35-50mm equivalent is fine. Thoughts please :) I guess many people have this question.

Thanks a lot!

The links in this seem spammy to me. :abnormal:

Otherwise, for me, I do think there are situations where I'd rather my P&S camera than my phone.

Wow, actually this is very cool but why on an iphone ?
Booo why not Android ?

I guess it's still in development, not even production yet. It May never come to fruition.
Nonetheless, in the future there are going to be some awesome point and shoot replacement options for your phone.

For around $150, I would bag the idea of a point n shoot. A decent modern day smartphone will perform just as well. If you're willing to step up to the next level of compact digitals, that's another story. My Canon Powershot S120 runs laps around my Samsung GS5 in anything other than a bright outdoor setting. For indoor shots of my infant son, a smartphone just isn't acceptable.

Most reactions

Back