point and shoot?

jeljohns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a DSLR (Canon) and lately I've been pretty frustrated with it and thinking about going back to P&S for some more creative freedom. Can anyone recommend a higher level P&S that takes high quality pictures? I open to any brands at this point.

Thanks!

and thinking about going back to P&S for some more creative freedom
I would think that a DSLR offers more 'creative freedom' than a P&S.

Usually, when someone considers changing their photography equipment to solve a creative problem, it's the wrong decision.

What kind of frustration are you having? For example -- getting used to the controls, understanding aperture/shutter speed/ISO, getting unexpected results, etc.? I agree -- changing equipment rarely fixes problems, unless your problem is that the equipment is too heavy, literally broken, or something similar.

Why on earth would you want to change to something that is more creatively limiting in order to be more creative?

I would think that a DSLR offers more 'creative freedom' than a P&S.

Usually, when someone considers changing their photography equipment to solve a creative problem, it's the wrong decision.
i'm seconding this, a p&s won't give you anymore creative freedom

If you're looking for a point and shoot and don't feel like going out of your mind, get something like a Fuji F200 EXR.

IMO, the only point and shoot worth anything right now, for the exception of the G10, a few panasonics, and the Olympus SW series.

The worst point and shoot's i've seen, say Nikon on them. Avoid Nikon's P&S's like the plauge. I ran a test against the P90 and my D700, and ISO 64 on the P90 looked like ISO 5000 on the 700. ISO 60-FREAKING-4!!!!!!

The Fuji F200 at the 6MP High-DR mode looks as good as my D70 shooting RAW- DAMN NICE.

well a very good P&S is the Panasonic Lumix L3 but it costs quite a lot...
I don't see why you need to switch back to P&S for creativity though since it's quite in fact the opposite. What can you do with a P&S that you can't do with a dSLR?
The only advantage I consider having a P&S is that it's convenient to carry around and you can pretty much use in any settings. That's the only advantage I can think of.

For a looooong time I couldn't afford a DSLR so I had a really crappy 4MP P&S. I finally got a DSLR and I actually kind of hate it. My pictures looked BETTER with the P&S. Because I didn't have to worry about settings, ect. I could focus on the creative parts. Now with my DSLR I'm so busy fumbling with controls and worrying about what the proper exposure is that I always miss the moment. Also, my DSLR does not handle light very well. No matter what ISO (or setting) it is on my pictures are DARK. My P&S captured fast action pretty well too and with my DSLR everything is blurry. I know it is mostly user error, but I'm not sure how to get better and I'm frusterated that I've missed many good shots by not just being able to point and click. I just miss the freedom of my P&S. :(

Ugghhh.....suggestions? Before I make what might be a mistake in selling my DSLR?

read the manual... what camera do you have? sometimes I leave my camera on 2 stops under exposed and it will be VERY dark, while the meter says its the correct exposure.... just a thought.

I have a Canon Rebel XS

Thing is you can P&S with a DSLR. Not allways the best way of course but anything a P&S can do a DSLR can do.. better.

For action shots or catching 'the moment' while your learning program mode will be perfectly adequate. But that said it's not a 'black box' when it comes to taking with non-program mode.

Aperture priority - just set the aperture for depth of field and camera will select shutter speed.
Shutter priority - for a beginner probably the best mode, especially in low light, as you can set the shutter to one that works and know you can hand hold every shot.

ISO for the most part leave it on default. If your dropping into low light then set it to say 800 and leave it for the rest of the night.

The big thing is for 'snap shots' (in the speed they are composed and shot sense) that you preset the camera for what you except to be doing.

For example with my TLR I take a meter reading when I go out. Set up shutter speed/aperture for the conditions I expect to meet. Then just quickly compose, focus ( often not needed as I try to have plenty of depth of field with my TLR as I use it for street work ), check light ( not likely to have changed ) so just shoot. Very quick and easy and doable with your XS almost as well. (I think the TLR is fantastic for street work - better than a SLR FWIW ).

For a looooong time I couldn't afford a DSLR so I had a really crappy 4MP P&S. I finally got a DSLR and I actually kind of hate it. My pictures looked BETTER with the P&S. Because I didn't have to worry about settings, ect. I could focus on the creative parts. Now with my DSLR I'm so busy fumbling with controls and worrying about what the proper exposure is that I always miss the moment. Also, my DSLR does not handle light very well. No matter what ISO (or setting) it is on my pictures are DARK. My P&S captured fast action pretty well too and with my DSLR everything is blurry. I know it is mostly user error, but I'm not sure how to get better and I'm frusterated that I've missed many good shots by not just being able to point and click. I just miss the freedom of my P&S. :(

Ugghhh.....suggestions? Before I make what might be a mistake in selling my DSLR?

Learn how to use it. It's like if I hopped into a Mclaren and decided my Focus was better. Well duh!!! I know how to drive a focus, I don't know how to drive a Mclaren!

Learn actual photography and you'll be able to do the number crunching in your sleep.

You've gotten some good advice here. Use Av or Tv modes to start--all you have to do is pick ONE setting, and the camera does the rest. Then you can gradually increase which settings you control.

If you are in a situation that requires being really quick, and you are mainly doing snapshots, don't be afraid to use the green box. Get the shot. But when things calm down a bit, switch to Av and get a shallow depth of field by using a small f number. etc. etc. Experiment by yourself, and then you will be more comfortable when in a "high pressure" situation.

Also, go to Amazon and order "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. You can get it shipped to you in a couple days for about $20. It is the Bible as far as photography is concerned. I'm on my third reading of it in just a couple of months and I absorb something new everytime.

Good luck!!! If sell the DSLR you do, complete will be your journey to the Dark Side. Scared you are. Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering, and to the Dark Side it will lead you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back