Which to buy survey: 5D2 or 1D3

phototrek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this has been covered before but if you had a choice would you buy the 5D2 or 1D3? Also, if I buy the 1D3 what is the serial numbers I should avoid and do I still need to look for the blue dot on the box?

Two different bodies for two distinctly different purposes. What are you wanting to shoot. Both will take pictures, but the ease in doing so is in the need.

I am thinking of buying a 5D2 or 1D3 and I already have the following len's: 20/f2.8, 24-70/f2.8L, 70-200/f2.8L and the 100-400/L. Are these len's good enough or do I need to buy additional glass? What about prime glass for the 5D2? I do mostly landscape and some wildlife photos.

Ok, I found this in another thread of yours on the same vein. For landscape and wildlife I would choose the 5D MII.

Defintely what Gryph said... No way to decide on a tool if you don't tell us the job to be performed.

Studio, Portrait, Wedding, landscan = 5D2 (Full frame)
Sports photographer, Journalist = 1D3 (Faster AF)

I'd say most photographers will prefer the 5D2.

I will be doing mostly landscape and some wildlife. The reason for looking at the 1D3 is that it is built like a tank and the magnification factor.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by magnification factor? (If you mean sensor size, I thought the 5D and 1DIII had the same 1.3x sensor...but could be wrong.)

I understand the 5D is also built like a tank, by the way -- maybe less so than the 1D series, but still a tough, substantial bit of kit.

The 5D is pretty weak for a body that costs 3 grand, I think anyone worth their marbles would agree to that, but I think if you're going to be doing mostly landscape and nature, the 5D would be better in the long run.

Just keep it away from any sort of moisture.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by magnification factor? (If you mean sensor size, I thought the 5D and 1DIII had the same 1.3x sensor...but could be wrong.)

I understand the 5D is also built like a tank, by the way -- maybe less so than the 1D series, but still a tough, substantial bit of kit.

The 5D is full frame, while the 1D mk III is a 1.3x crop factor. The 1Ds was full frame.

The 5D is pretty weak for a body that costs 3 grand, I think anyone worth their marbles would agree to that, but I think if you're going to be doing mostly landscape and nature, the 5D would be better in the long run.

Just keep it away from any sort of moisture.

No it's not, the build is better than the xxD but lighter than the 1 series, which is exactly where it should fall. In many respects this is a very good thing-- the 1 series cameras are incredibly heavy and bulky.

It's got some weather sealing as well, though dumping water on it is not a terrific idea.

The crop factor/magnification of the 1D3 is nullified by the fact that you could crop a 5D2 to match and still have higher resolution.

The 5D is full frame, while the 1D mk III is a 1.3x crop factor. The 1Ds was full frame.

I really feel like we're comparing apples to oranges. . .the 1D3 is standard issue for photojournalists, 10fps, super rugged, and built to thunk around. . . .5D2 is quite the opposite, not very fast, no crop factor, and suited for the landscaper, wedding shooter, or studio nut. . .

Most reactions

Back